Chapter 5

Maddie's POV

"Hey," Ty said. "Maddie? It's 4:30." I groaned.

"Okay." I forcibly pushed myself out of the bed. I pulled on my sweatpants over my thermo-leggings. "Did you happen to move my jacket?"

"Yea, it's on the coat rack in the corner." I snag my jacket off the rack and my board at the end of my bed and jog out the door. "You're welcome." I hear Ty call.

There is only one more person at the slopes when I arrive, it's too tall to be Shaun or Danny. "Sage?" I call over.

"Oh, hey, Maggie." He smiled.

"It's Maddie, but close enough."

"Sorry, bro. It's been a long day. What did you do all day?" I shrugged.

"Not much, really. I slept." He laughed.

"I wish I had picked that over hiking." He smiled again. "I guess I should go. It's my last one." He strapped his goggles on. "Nice talking to you. See you 'round." He said. With that, he took off down the slope. It was flawless. Sage waved when I was clear to go. I strapped my boots and placed myself at the top. I jumped. I started with the pipe and made a flawless 50. The same with the next pipe. Then the time came for the first slope. I closed my eyes and grabbed the tail of the board. After a few hours of continuous practice I decide it is time to go back to the hotel.

Walking through the lobby was an enlightening experience. One staff member was working the desk and one housekeeper was cleaning three floors of rooms. The elevator does not work. I sprint up the stairs and walk through the door of my room.

"The snow's getting mushy." I was answered by silence. "Ty?" I walked over by the bathroom, it was empty. I walked over to her bed. There was a note taped to her pillow. 

"Went to into the city for a look around. See you later. -Ty xo" I put the letter down and went to take a shower. I had just gotten my hair soaked when there was a knock at the door. 

"God dammit." I muttered I was too tired to put clothes on, so I wrapped the towel around me as tight as I could. I opened the door and there was Shaun. "What?" I managed to sound harsh. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were showering. Sorry." He chuckled  lightly. "This is a sight I never thought I'd get to see." A smirk passed his lips. 

"What do you want, Shaun." 

"Sorry, I just wanted to apologize for being an absolute asshole." He said. I knew he was nervous because he tried to tuck his hair behind his ear. "I am so sorry." 

"Will you wait in here and let me finish my shower? We can talk some more when I'm done." He nodded and sat on the bottom of my bed. I finished my shower and put my jammies on. I walked into the bedroom. Shaun sat up a little straighter when I walked in. 

"Hi." He managed. I sat down on the bed with my back against the pillow. 

Shaun's POV

She walked out of the bathroom. She sat down across from me with her back to the wall.

"So--"

"I'm ready to talk about Vancouver." She said, picking at her nails.

"Are you sure?" I leaned up against the wall behind. She nodded softly.

"It didn't mean anything to me. What happened. It really didn't."

"It didn't look like nothing. Why'd you do it?"

"I got caught up in the moment I guess. I was drunk, she was drunk..." I trailed off.

"That doesn't justify anything." We both sat in silence. "Who was she?"

"A Slovakian skier." She nodded and chuckled.

"You didn't even stay in the same sport." She said quietly. "Let alone the same country. You didn't sleep with--" I remained silent. She looked at her phone. "It's late. I think we both need some sleep." I smiled.

"I agree." I stood up. "I really am sorry. I loved you more than anything on this planet." With that, I walked out of the room and shut the door. I slid down the door into a pile on the floor. I felt like drinking. A bottle could take all my cares away. I felt like shit after I heard her crying through the door.