Chapter 8

Maddie's POV

I stepped of the plane in Providence. 

"Madeline!" I heard a voice screech. I turned to see my mom running towards me. I dropped my bags at my feet.

"Momma!" I opened my arms up wide. She hit me harder than I had expected and I almost fell.

"My beautiful girl! I saw you on TV and I am so proud!" 

"Thank you, momma. Can we go home?" I said with a yawn. She nodded and drove me home. 

Shaun's POV

The next day I knock at Maddie's door. Again, Ty answers. 

"Go the hell away." Ty said as she shut the door in my face. 

"Where's Maddie?" I called through the door. Ty swung it open. 

"She left. She returned home. You finally broke her." She poked at my chest. "She didn't want to be here anymore with you and that Slovakian whore." She tried to shut the door, but I shoved my foot in the door in time. 

"She's really," I paused to take it all in. "gone." 

"Yea, dickweed. Now leave before I beat your ass." Ty kicked my foot out of the door and slammed it shut. 

"Dammit." I yelled and kicked the wall. I leaned against the wall and fell into a pile on the floor. I put my elbows to my knees and my head in my hands. "I fucked up." I whispered. 

Maddie's POV

"Charlie?" I peaked my head around the corner of the nursery. "Hey, boo." His smile lit up the entire room. 

"Sissy. You win?" I shook my head. 

"I almost did. I was very close." He frowned for a second then his smile returned.

"I saw you play. You did good." I walked in and hugged him. 

"Thank you, boo." I put him back down and left the room. I jogged up to my bedroom and turned on the TV. It was eight o'clock meaning men's halfpipe is on. 

"Shaun White approaches the top. He's getting ready to drop in and there he goes!" He has a perfect first run. It makes me smile a little. A few more men do their runs and then it is time for Shaun's second run. He makes a nice drop in. "White is going to try the YOLO Twist!" He went up and when coming back down he lost his balance causing him to fall. 

"Oh, my God!" I scream. My mom came running through my door. 

"What's wrong?!" I rewound the segment. Her eyes widened when she saw Shaun fall. "Oh no." 

"That ruins his chances for another gold." I was still pissed at Shaun, but he worked so hard for that gold. I shut off the television and turned off my laptop. I walked downstairs. "I'm going to bed. Night, love you." I kissed her cheek. "Tell dad I love him when he gets home." She nodded not looking up from her computer. 

"I'm glad you're home, baby girl." I walk back up the stairs. I stared at the ceiling for hours until exhaustion overcame me and I fell asleep. 

Shaun's POV

After my wipeout, I placed fourth in men's halfpipe finals. I made the trek back to the hotel and packed up my stuff.

"Hey, man. It's all good. You have next year." Sage said. He must have heard me packing up. 

"Yea, man, I know. I'm just ready to leave, ya know." I offered my hand to him. "I'll see you soon, bro." He shook it. 

"Bye, man." I picked up my bags and made my way down to the lobby and eventually to the airport. 

Ten hours later, I landed in Providence. I picked up my car at the desk. "Nice try, Mr. White." One of the young valets said. I nodded in response. I drove myself to Maddie's house and knocked on the door. 

"Hello, Shaun." Mrs. Dunlap smiled. "Do I need to get Maddie?" 

"If you don't mind, Mrs. Dunlap, I would like to go up there myself." She hesitated while looking over her shoulder. 

"Yes, go ahead." She showed me the stairwell, as if I hadn't ever been to Maddie's room. I headed up the stairs and opened her door. 

"Maddie?" I whispered. She didn't make a noise or movement. I lied down across the end of her bed and fell asleep. 

Maddie's POV

I woke up the next morning with a weight on my feet. I rubbed my eyes and looked to the end of the bed. 

"Shaun?" I taped at the somewhat lifeless body. "Shaun." 

"Huh," He woke up a little. "Maddie." He got off the bed and fixed his hair and shirt. "I'm just here to--" I slapped him as hard as I could. 

"How dare you?" I immediately regret it. "Sorry, continue." He rubs his cheek.

"I just came to apologize and tell you how much you mean to me." He pulled a small box out of his coat pocket and tossed it on the bed. I picked it up as he left the room. Inside was a beautiful, hand crafted ring with two turtledove kissing centered over a heart.

"Holy, shit." I drop the box and sprint down the stairs, skipping steps as I go. "Shaun!" I call outside. I see him peel out of the driveway. I sprint as fast as I can, but I am unable to reach him in time. I walk back to my house feeling defeated. I pick up my phone and call Shaun. 

"Hey, you've reached my voicemail. You know what to do." The beep comes and I leave the briefest message I can.

"I love you too."