46. the talk

Real Life

I laid down on my bed as soon as I got home from the airport. It's about 10 on a Sunday night, and all I want to do right now is sleep, but Liam is on his way over. We're having the dreaded talk.

I caught up on social media before my door opened and Liam walked through. I stood up as he strode over to me, lifting me up in a hug.

"I missed you," he says with his head on my shoulder. He set me down and I reached up, running my fingers through his dark hair.

"I missed you too."

"Of course you did," he joked and I punched his arm.

We both sit down on my bed with our backs up against my headboard. He immediately grabs one of my hands once we sit, mindlessly playing with my fingers.

"I'm really dreading this conversion," he sighs.

I rest my head on his shoulder and say, "Me too. But we have to talk about it sooner or later."

"I vote later."

I snicker and shut my eyes, enjoying this moment.

"I love you so much Liam," I start.

"That sounds like the beginning of a breakup."

"You think I want to breakup? I don't Liam. I want to be with you so much it hurts," I say.

He turns to look at me completely, "Then why are you trying to push me away?"

"There's no way we'll work when I'm halfway across the country!"

"You don't know that Elizabeth!" He shouts. "You haven't even let us try!"

"These past weekends have been hard enough," I start to cry. "I was only gone for two days at a time and I was a mess!"

"It's going to be hard Eliz, but we have to at least give it a shot."

"I don't want us missing each other every second of the day, not knowing when we'll get to see each other again," I wipe a tear away.

Liam placed his hands on my cheeks, rubbing under my eyes, "Who says we won't know? We can make specific plans of when I'll visit."

"I want it to work Liam. But I heard all about it from other girls while I was there. They tried to keep a long distance relationship and they all ended horribly. They don't even talk to each other anymore. You're my best friend, I don't want to lose you."

"We're not them. You'll never lose me," He pulls me in so I'm sitting on his lap. "Hear me out ok?"

I nod and he continues, "It's only March. We still have until June until you move out there. Until then, we stay like normal, me and you together. When the time comes, you decide what you want to happen between us. If you want to stay together, fine. If you don't, I'll be upset, but fine. But until then, we make the most out of our last days in this crappy little town. Sound good?"

I sniffle and nod, "Sounds good."

He grins and kisses my forehead, "Now can we please catch up on some episodes of Flip or Flop? I can't watch it with anyone else cause they judge me."

"Only if you go make me some popcorn."

"I'm on it baby girl," he jumps out of bed, kissing me before he sprints out the door.

Twitter

elizabeth.wilson: if two people can't stay away from each other, maybe they're not supposed to