51. grads

Real Life

"I swear, if you make me late, I'm gonna throat punch you."

I rolled my eyes at the voice outside my door, "Vee, they can't start without you. You're the damn valedictorian."

"Hurry up Elizabeth!" She yells and I hear her run down the stairs.

I jump around trying to put my wedges on. I'm praying I don't trip while accepting my diploma.

Today's the day. I'm officially going to be done with high school. It really is so bittersweet. I'm so excited to start my life after high school, but I'm not ready to never come back. I can't imagine never walking through those halls again. But after today, that will be my reality.

When people say it goes faster than you think, they aren't shitting you. These past 4 years flew by. I wish I would've paid more attention to everyone and taken more in.

"Elizabeth!" Vee yells from downstairs.

"IM COMING," I respond, hurrying down the stairs which is pretty hard in my wedges.

"Oh my," My mom gasps once she sees me in my cap and gown, "How are you already graduating?"

"Okay mom, we gotta make these pictures quick," I say and stand next to Vee posing. "We can take 3, tops."

She snaps a few pictures of us and announces, "Okay that'll do for now. Bye girls!"

We smile at each other and rush out the door to get to the high school.

Once we're there, we see our other four best friends waiting for us in the parking lot.

"It's about damn time," Gray whines, "You're a minute late. Principal Marx isn't gonna be too happy with us."

"Oh, please," I say, rolling my eyes, "I don't remember the last time that guy smiled."

We start to head for the doors and Liam falls in step next to me, grabbing my hand. I bring it around my shoulder and wrap my arm around his waist.

"This is our last time walking in here as a high schooler," He states.

"As much as I complained about it, I'm actually gonna miss it."

"I'm not gonna miss the school part, mainly the people," he smiles down at me and kisses my forehead. I close my eyes and take it in, not knowing if we'll be together or not tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning I leave for LA. For good. I'm all packed up and my parents and I are driving a moving van with all my stuff to my new apartment there. Liam and I both agreed to just pretend like this day wasn't coming and enjoy what we had left. It's up to me to decide where I want our relationship to go. I still have no idea. I'm hoping I figure it out  by tomorrow morning.

"Finally!" Our principal yells as we walk through the doors. "Okay, you six need to go get in alphabetical order right now! We're behind schedule!"

We all snicker at our frazzled principal but follow his request and stand in line. Luckily, Liam and I get to stand right next to each other. He stands hugging me from behind while we wait.