Perfect (Keith x Fem!Reader)

Hello everyone!

This is in response to @FlameOfPhoenix06 request. 

I apologize if I made this too angsty, but I hope this is somewhere close of what you're looking for. 

If you would like to see something different, contact me with a different description for your one shot. 

Other than that, I hope you enjoy! 

-Oddball 

________________________________________________________________________________

"Keith, do the others find me annoying?"

"What?" The red paladin cocked an eyebrow, confused at the question. He looked back at (Y/N) as she dodged a tree branch. They walked along jungle path of a remote planet, looking for artifacts to help them in their fight. The air was thick with moisture, causing both of them to sweat profusely, drenching their clothes. Animal life fluttered, squawked, and skittered all around them as they walked forward on the dirt path that led through the jungle.

"The other Paladins," (Y/N) continued, "do they find me annoying?" Keith huffed at the question.

"Why would you asked that?" he said sarcastically.

"I just- I don't know. It was a stupid question." Keith stopped in his tracks at the sudden change of tone in her voice. She sounded weary instead of her happy self. He turned around again, this time facing her completely. She looked up at him with scared (E/C) eyes, stopping in her tracks as well. The lines on her face had deepened from this morning, giving off an air of anxiety. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the sight.

"What's wrong? he asked.

"N-nothing."

"No, it's something."

"It's nothing. Just keep walking." (Y/N) tried to walk past him, but he blocked her way with his arm.

"What is it (Y/N)?" he asked again, this time softening his voice. She looked back up at him, obviously holding back tears.

"I-I said it was a stupid question," she continued. "I-I don't want to annoy you-"

"It won't annoy me," he said flatly. "I just want to know what's wrong." (Y/N) gave a shaky sigh as she looked back on the ground. Keith moved his arm out of the way, and crossed both of them as he leaned up against a tree as if it were one of the doorways back at the castle. Seeing him in a familiar position somehow calmed (Y/N)'s nerves, making it easier to speak.

"I-I overheard some of the Paladins talking yesterday," she said.

"Who was it?"

"It was Pidge and Allura. They were talking about previous missions we've been on, specifically ones that I've accompanied you guys." (Y/N) rubbed the back of her neck nervously, hoping that she didn't sound like she was complaining or gossiping. "They seemed to focus on everything that I did wrong those times. Ok, yeah, I was a little clumsy when we visited the Balmera, causing one of the castle's defense systems to malfunction. And I might have messed up important sequences when we were tracking that asteroid-" She choked on her words as she tried to continue. There was plenty more mistakes, but she couldn't get the descriptions out of her already tightened throat. She shook her head, fighting back the tears.

"Nevermind," she said, voice shaking. "I am a clutz and they probably find me annoying. It's ok though. I'll be fine."

"No," Keith interjected, his voice stiffening. "It's not fine." She looked up to see his eyes hardening with anger and annoyance. His fingers squeezed his arms as he gritted his teeth, showing how hard it was for him to stay quiet.

"K-Keith," (Y/N) said hesitantly, "there's no reason to get angry. They're fine, I'm probably just overrea-"

"Pidge and Allura are not the problem," he interjected again. "(Y/N), you're not a nuisance."

"Then why do I keep messing you guys up?" she asked, bursting into tears. "I keep hindering you guys on important missions, causing everyone to have to work harder in this stupid war! You should have left me on that planet Keith. Then the Paladins wouldn't have to worry about some lonely, clumsy, straggling girl who can't take one step without tripping over something. It would have been easier!" Covering her face with her hands, she tried to turn and walk in the other direction.

"(Y/N)!" Keith called, grabbing her shoulder aggressively, causing her to squeak. "Don't ever say that again!"

"S-say what?" she asked hesitantly, feeling frightened at the contact.

"Don't you ever say that I should have left you," he scolded. "Don't you ever say that I should have walked away, and don't EVER say that me rescuing you was the worst thing that ever happened! Look (Y/N), I saved you from that Quiznacking planet because the people there wanted you dead, which is something that I will never want in my lifetime. A-and look," he softened his tone and grip, gently turned her around to face him, "e-everyone makes mistakes, a-and they even make them m-more than once. You're not a nuisance because even though you have messed up a few times, y-you've done something for us -for me- that we could never r-repay you for." (Y/N) looked up at him, staring into his deep set eyes. A deep red blush crept across his cheeks, causing him to look down.

"Wh-why are you saying all of this?" she whispered. "You usually don't talk about stuff like this." He looked back up, his face firming with the familiar determination she had seen many times before.

"Because I hate seeing you hurt."

"Why would you care?"

"For the same reason I saved you."

"But Keith-" She didn't get to finish her sentence, too shocked to complete it. Keith drew (Y/N) into a tight hug, digging his face into her shoulder.

"You're not a nuisance (Y/N)," he told her. "You're perfect the way you are."