chapter three!

first lesson monday morning he always had math. it was the worst. the only thing good about it really was that his best friend brendon sat behind him and ashley sat beside him, the teachers claiming the need to sit students "boy/girl".

as the bell screeches, josh and his two other friends who he share the class with walk in just on time, joshua beginning to walk to the middle row of desks, sitting on his plastic chair that stood next to the wall. he leans against it, sighing.

and after that point the teacher just started to ramble about something.

what if the roof falls through right now?
how strong is the legs on the chair?
do i look ok?
who's looking at me?

totally zoned out, josh is brought back to reality when he hears the feminine voice call his name.

what did i do wrong?
now everyone is looking at me. they might think i'm showing off or that cheated on that test i did that one time when i absolutely didn't.
what if brendon doesn't like me anymore? and he gets better friends?
are the walls safely held up and supported?

"...joshua dun, with the highest mark for the ninth test running. well done, josh."

there was a small pause for a moment as the class stops to cheer for their highest achieving pupil, the blue haired boy just smiling thankfully as he couldn't actually say anything.

they must think i think i'm superior to them all, now.

but soon, the adrenaline quickly ran out and the class was brought back to silence.

thank you.

although this time josh didn't zone out, though.

he found his eyes wondering to the front of a classroom, a boy sat on practically the opposite side of the room.

tyler joseph.
he was cute.

he'd never actually spoken to tyler. well, he hadn't spoken to anyone in this whole school before, but he'd never even really made eye contact with him nor wrote him anything in his book or phone notes he uses to talk to those who can't sign.

he often did this.

he really liked tyler. how his plump lips rested one on top of the other, his long eyelashes would flutter as he looked down at his sketchbook. it gave josh butterflies.

josh had never seen his drawings, though, he often wondered what he would spend hours drawing every single day. that one boy rarely hadn't got a pencil in his hand.

"josh!"
a voice from behind him whispers. he turns around to see his friend brendon smirking a little. josh avoids eye contact, gesturing 'what?'.

"you're staring again. honestly, if you like them, just ask them out." he whispers a bit too loud.

"josh! brendon! care to tell us what you're talking about if it's that interesting?" the teacher calls out from the front of the classroom, looking down from the board she was previously writing some equations on. turning around to sit back tidily, joshua audibly sighs again, foot tapping on the ground in his usual rhythm.

breathe-
tap-
breathe.

"well, joshie and i were just talking about his little crush." brendon teases, making the teacher poker-up her lips.

"please keep your conversations out of this classroom, this is a place of learning, not a playground." she turns back to face the board. "ok, tyler, can you tell me the answer to 2b and show me how you worked it out?"

tyler just shrugs. "n-no. i can't." some members of the class break out into a short scene of laughter. tyler's short reply startled joshua a little, it surprising him as he'd never heard tyler really speak out loud for longer than that short amount of time before.

he knew well what tylers voice sounded like. he just didn't hear it enough.

the teacher pouts. "ok. josh? any ideas?"

nodding, he grabs a pice of paper and in seconds the method for solving the equation was neatly laid out. ms. sharp nods dismissively, gesturing over to tyler 'look.'

sometimes was school was too easy. joshua just couldn't expand anymore as he'd done all he could.

did i disappoint or embarrass tyler?