Chapter 29: What Now?

Leo's POV
"You wouldn't really kill me. Would you?" I raised an eyebrow.

   "Of course not." Mark sighed, becoming serious. "You really scared me back there you know. Dorian almost killed you. You could have been dead."

   "Yeah, but you saved me." I attempted to reason. I wave a guilt rushed over me.

   "I almost didn't. I took me to the last second to muster up the strength to pull the trigger. I had the gun way before he had pulled out his gun." Mark had now slumped down onto the table below the medical machine.

   "Hey, don't put it all on yourself. You were kind of dying too." I placed my hand on his shoulder gently.

   He looked up at me with a weak smile. "I guess I was."

   Without thinking much I let my emotions and actions do whatever they wanted. I lent down and placed my lips against Marks, which was probably a bad idea. I came to my senses pretty quickly and pulled away but it was already too late. Mark was staring up at me blank faced.

"Uh," was all he said.

"Leo you broke Mark." Marissa laughed. I hadn't even noticed she had come back in. Lyler wasn't with her, but I could hear him calling for her in another room.

"I hadn't noticed Marissa." I frowned and looked back over to Mark who was still looking up at me blankly. "Mark, I'm sorry-"

"Don't be sorry." Marissa interrupted my sentence. "He isn't mad, he's just... in shock. Slap him and he'll be fine."

"I'm not going to slap Mark." I ran my hand through my hair.

"Fine then I will." And that's exactly what she did. She walked right over to her friend and smacked him across the face.

"OW." Mark yelled and placed his hands against cheek and glared at Marissa. "I am not broken. I was just getting my thoughts together. Why don't you go look for some more clothes or something."

She rolled her eyes but headed back out of the room anyways. Mumbling something about how ungrateful we were. There was a moment of awkward silence as I just stood there without meaning until Mark decided to speak.

   "So about what just happened..." He trailed off.

   "Yeah." It came out sounding kind of like a was agreeing with him even it didn't make much sense.

   "I-" Mark opened his mouth to say something else when the sound of metal hitting metal forced its way into my ears.

   The ship trembled and tilted from left to right as it rocked back and forth. Mark lost his balance and began to fall. I reached out and caught him before he hit the floor. Stuff from my shelves began to slide and fall to the ground and roll.

   "Are you okay?" I asked Mark as I helped him gain his balance back.

   "Yeah. What's happening?"

   "Leo we are being attacked!" Lyler and Marissa stumbled into the main room, trying to lean against the force of the ship as it swayed.

   "I think it's Dorian's minions are coming back for revenge." Lyler placed his hand on the wall to keep his balance.

"Oh great." I sighed as I rushed off to the pilot's room. "Mark! I need you to help me."

"Okay, what do I do?" He sat in the seat beside me and looked over all the buttons and switches.

"See the blue switch to your right. Flick it up and the light next to it should turn yellow." I pulled the gear upwards to avoid an incoming missile only missing it by a couple centimeters.

"Okay, what next?" Mark glanced over to me.

"The dark orange button to your left launches a cluster bomb. I'm going to fly over them and you're going to have to drop it on time." I tugged the gear to the right and pushed it forward.

"Oh fun." Mark ready his hand over the button.

I wasn't sure how well this would work but I was hopping it would at least throw them off course for even a second. "Get ready."

   "Now!" I shouted as an incoming jet raced under us. Mark slammed his hand onto the button.

~~~~~~~~~~
   Chapter 29! It's late and unedited but it's here. It took a long week of procrastination and writers block but I finally finished it.