Shattered Me

I could physically feel my heart shatter as Mirai walked away. My chest ached as I saw that man force himself onto her. Before she was gone she turned around and snuck me a smile. It was beautiful and warm but it made me feel cold and broken. She mouthed a series of words to me that took me a second to make out but once I did she was already in the ship and flying in the sky where I couldn't reach her. 

'Please be happy, farewell.' She mouthed before she left me. My chest started to ache ten times worse and my stomach clamped. I doubled over and shut my eyes closed. I prayed that this was a dream and when I woke up Mirai's beautiful face would be welcoming me to breakfast. I could hear Shiro's voice but it never completely registered until I forced my eyes open.

"The monster retreated for some reason. Whatever, Keith we're coming to get you. Stay where you are."

"O-Kay S-Shiro..." I said. My voice was too shaky to even hope to control. I looked back up in the sky and outstretched my arm in a failed attempt to grab at the gone aircraft. Every time I came to the realization my chest hurt even more. My eyes stung and my throat wouldn't let out any noise other than a pathetic, sad mewl. I could hear the lions land behind me but I couldn't muster up the will-power to turn around and face them. My side burned every time I tried to call out to the ship that now held Mirai.

"Keith!" I heard Shiro yell.

"Dude what happened?" Lance asked as he bent down and sat next to me. He held his arms behind my shoulders to help keep me up. "Buddy?"

"Keith you look like shit." Pidge blatantly spat out. She was sitting on my other side next to Shiro. "Who attacked you?" I looked at all their faces one by one and took a big shaky breath. It hurt so much to take a deep breath but I ignored it.

"This man. He called himself Lotor. He uh, he knocked my lion to the ground and demanded I hand over Mirai. I-"

"Did you!" Hunk interrupted. I was at a loss now. Would her leaving on her own accord count as handing her over? Would they see it as that? 

"No, I, uh, Mirai came down and left with him. I couldn't stop her. I tried. Trust me." I kept repeating the last part as if to convince myself. Ever time I repeated it my vision got more blurry. My voice cracked with every syllable and my throat burned. I didn't realize that the reason for my blurry vision was my own tears until they started to soak into my suit. "She left again. And I couldn't stop it." Shiro placed his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes.

"You tried, that's all that matters. Mirai felt that it was the right thing to do so we have to trust her." Shiro said in the most comforting voice he could find, though I could tell that he was not calm. Not even in the slightest. I sighed and gathered my breath as much as I could and smiled back to him. I probably still looked like a mess though. I gritted my teeth in pain as I turned myself to look back up in the sky. My vision started to go fuzzy again. This time I knew that I wasn't sobbing. My head started spinning and I felt like I was going to vomit. 

"Quiznak, he's injured. Bad." Lance yelled as I started to slump over. Lance caught me in his already prepared arms and Shiro tried to keep me awake.

"Shit, we gotta get back to Allura." Pidge yelled as she stood up and pointed them in a direction. I turned my head to that I was looking straight into Shiro's hazel eyes. He was frantic and yelling, yet I couldn't hear a thing. It was all muffled. Before I knew it my world went pitch black and I was alone. It was nice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Keith" I could make it it but it was slurred together. It repeated itself a couple of times while I tried to open my heavy eyes. My head hurt like someone had detonated a bomb inside my skull while I was asleep. I finally opened my tired eyes and was made aware of the blurry figures in front of me. I was in the healing pod, I knew that much. The world spun so much I had no clue what was what. I could make out Lance's green coat and Hunk's yellow shirt. I was in the ship, I made that out know.

"Oh, He's waking up." I heard Allura say relieved. The pod opened its doors once I could completely see two feet in front of me. Once I stepped out I was yanked into a hug. I grunted as I looked up to see who was bear-hugging me. I saw Shiro's relieved face above me. Tears misted his cheeks as he let go and looked me in the eyes.

"You scared me. There was so much blood. I just- I thought we lost you." Shiro mumbled while he placed his palms on my cheeks as if to make sure that this was real. Once he was satisfied he pulled me back in for another hug. This one was gentle, as if not to calm himself down but to calm me down. After he took a step back I felt a pat in my shoulder. It was almost just as gentle as if whoever patted me on the shoulder was scared of breaking me. I saw Lance smiling warmly at me.

"We're glad you're okay buddy." After he said that I felt a hand rub my back gently. I turned to see Hunk smiling at me. He looked freaked but he also looked calm.

"Yeah, we are glad you're okay." Everyone gave me hugs and words of happiness like it was both a funeral and a wedding. After I stepped back from Allura's hug I felt a sharp and forceful punch hit my shoulder. I turned in reaction to the pain and saw Pidge standing beside me. She looked angry but her eyes were full of tears.

"Don't scare us like that." She hissed but followed it with a happy smile. "You're all going to be the death of me." Allura encouraged us to hurry off to bed cause apparently it was very late. I nodded and excused myself to my room. Every step of the way I glued my eyes to my feet. I didn't pick up my feet and walk properly, I shuffled. I don't know why but I was scared that if I picked my feet off the cold floor I would lose everything I had left to care about. I turned and walked into my dark room. It was still disheveled from this morning when Mirai woke me up. I chuckled and shook my head. I had told Lance not to tell Mirai but now, since she's gone. I want nothing more but to repeat those words into her ears. I want nothing else but to say three words to her. I thought I was fine when I laid myself down on my bed. I turned towards the wall and placed the back of my hand to my eyes. Hot tears dripped from my eyes to my hands then to my bed. I should have just told her those three stupid words. Then she would have known that I never intended for this to happen. I want to tell her those three damned words that now sear their way into my stomach, heart, brain and hell even my eyelids.

I love you, Mirai.