Made Of Stone Ch. 3

Charlie was always the more athletic one. I was taller and bigger built than her, but that meant nothing. She was small and vicious when she wanted to be. Soccer was her favorite sport. I hated all of them. I think it was because I always watched Charlie play. One time I watched her kick a ball straight into one girl’s nose. It broke. This happened many times after and then people started to realize that they should get out of her way. 

The gun on Charlie’s hip was quite the surprise. She had never taken any self defense classes, as far as I knew. And when I thought about it, I didn’t know very much anymore.

“Alright, I know this looks bad.” Charlie started before I got to even say anything. My eyes were wide and I was starring back and forth between her and the boy behind her.

“Shut up Charlie! Let me ask the questions before you start answering them. First of all, who the hell is that behind you? Second, why am I in a white creepy van? And third, who are you working for?” My loud booming voice screamed. The guy who was driving looked back at us for a second but when he noticed my glare he turned around real quick. 

“This is Chase.” The brunette gestured towards the boy behind her. He looked over at me and smiled. It was bright and shining and looked just like Charlie’s. Damn. The smile was getting to me and I didn’t even know who this boy was.

“Chase. Chase. No, of course I know who Chase is. What the hell, Charlie? Who is Chase and why does he look just like you?” I yelled. Both teens sheepishly smiled at me and Charlie whispered something in his ear. He nodded and sat down. 

“Chase is my twin brother.”

“Whoa. Hold up. Twin brother? I’ve known you your whole life and now you have a twin brother. How is that possible?” My mind was going into overdrive. This was impossible. It must have been prank Alessandra week or something because nothing was making sense. Nothing. Normally science was the only thing I never got. 

“He’s a clone. Well, sort of. It’s hard to explain.” Clone. I was sure I had heard her right but even if I hadn’t I started cracking up. I sat down and waited for her to continue. When she didn’t I decided to keep the conversation going.

“I’m sure we have plenty of time. Where are we going anyway?”

“That doesn’t matter. We will arrive soon.” Charlie’s voice was comforting, sort of. This Charlie seemed to be different than the girl I had previously called my best friend. I knew she was the same girl but something was different and I just couldn’t place my finger on it. Then it clicked. Trust. Trust was something that took a long time to earn from me. At this point Charlie was slowly losing it. I didn’t want that to happen so I shook my head and tried to psyche myself out.

We pulled up to a tall hotel building and pull around back. It was abandoned I could tell. It was a few miles away from any type of civilization and it looked like a pretty good place to kidnap people. 

“This place is creepy.” I stated like it was the most normal thing in the world. Charlie looked over at me, smiled, and patted me on the back. Skipping ahead of me, I watched her flee towards the building. Chase walked a few feet behind me but I always made myself aware of just how close he got. I didn’t trust him yet, even if Charlie said he was her twin brother. 

The man who had driven the van never got out. Instead he drove towards the front of the building. I ignored him and kept walking. Subconsciously my pace quickened as I reached the entrance to the hotel. Before I walked inside though I whipped around quickly and was met with Chase about an inch or two from my face.

“Alright, listen, Chase. I’m over whelmed and frankly scared as hell. But that doesn’t matter. All that matters is that I find my father. If you will help me do that then I have no choice but to trust you.” As soon as I finished my words Chase move what distance he could towards me and lightly pressed his lips to mine. It was quick and chaste but I was stunned. My eyes widened and I shoved him away.