Chapter 14: Just Like Mama

Emily quickly finished and headed out the door. At the BAU she told everyone what exactly had happened the previous day and told them Derek was staying home with Bella again. Everyone was very understanding and knew how hard it must be for the little girl. At the BAU the day went great. They didn't have a case and just worked on paperwork, nothing much.
At the Prentiss-Morgan home, Derek tried to get Bella up and running by 8. They had breakfast and headed to the supermarket. Bella wasn't really on the mood for it but she knew she had to go out and just do all the normal things people did and that it would help eventually. So they bought everything they needed and headed back home. Bella helped Morgan put everything away and then they sat to watch some tv. Soon Derek suggested going to the mall for a walk and lunch and that's exactly what they did. They had a great time but Derek noticed that Bella was still quieter than normal. After lunch he asked if she wanted to go somewhere else and she said "can we go to the church again?".
Different from Emily's, Morgan's mother was very religious and he went to church with her a lot so he gladly took the girl. Bella took the same spot as the previous day and again just sat there for a while. Morgan could tell she was unsure of what to do.

"Do you know how to pray?" He asked her.

"Kinda" Bella said. Her dad, John, had taught her when she was very little but it had been so long since the last time she'd done it.

"Give me your hands" Morgan said and she did so. He took both of her hands and held them tight. "Close your eyes." He said and she did. "Dear lord, thank you for all the blessings in our lives. Please let us be safe and bless our family, our friends and those around us. Amen" he said and then opened his eyes to find Bella with hers still closed.
"You can open your eyes now" he smiled and she opened and looked a bit confused.
"That's how my mother prays." Derek explained.

"Is that the right way?" Bella asked.

"I don't know if there's a right way to do it." Derek smiled.

"Thank you for bringing me" Bella smiled.
Derek wrapped her in his arms.
"Dad" she said and he looked her in the eyes. "Do you need to go a church to pray?" She asked.

"No. You can pray anywhere" he said.

"Will my dad be able to listen?" She asked.

The question took Morgan by surprise.

"He will always be in your heart. You don't have to come here you just have to say. He'll always be with you" Derek said.

Bella looked down and said "I don't understand that"

"Understand what?" He asked.

"How he'll always be here" she said putting her hand on her chest. "He can't be with me. He's not here" Bella said and looked at Derek with tears in her eyes.

Morgan didn't know what to say.

"He can't listen to me, can he?" She asked on the verge of tears.

"I don't know, baby girl. I hope he can. I hope they can hear us" Derek said and Bella hid on his chest.

"I just miss him so much" she said and Morgan hugged her tight.

"I know" he told her. Derek tried hard not to cry. He held Isabella tight and let her calm down before going to the car. They headed home and spent the rest of the day on the couch.
Emily got home around 6 and brought them dinner. They ate together in the kitchen and then sat to watch tv. Bella soon got ready for bed and cuddled her mom on the couch watching a movie till it was bedtime. Emily went to tuck the girl in and Bella asked her to stay till she was asleep so Emily laid down with her.

"Did you have a good day with Derek?" Emily asked.

"Uhum" Bella said and hid on Emily's chest.

"Why are you hiding?" Emily asked running her fingers through the girl's hair.