Exams Begin

I skipped class the next day too. I told Lynx I didn't feel well so she brought me back a muffin from breakfast, a pot pie from lunch, and a few sausages from dinner. I was extremely grateful for her. Otherwise, I would have gone hungry before I went to the Great Hall and had to face—him. I was a little glad I even had an appetite at all.

Later that day, though, Lynx came in from sitting in the common room with Allistor. She gave me a small, concerned smile.

"Mr. Werewolf is waiting for you just outside the common room," she told me in a sing-song voice. I gave her a quizzical look, but she just shrugged. I was quite suspicious it might be a ruse and Severus was really the one waiting for me outside. Wishful thinking I suppose...

I got up and made myself relatively presentable. Then, I left the dorm, went through the common room, and stepped out into the drafty dungeon corridor. Sure enough, Remus was standing next to the wall looking sheepish but much healthier than I'd seen him last.

"So you are alive," he started with a wispy smile. The corner of my lip quirked up for a moment. It was the closest I'd come to smiling since Severus had turned his back on me. My shoulders slumped at that thought, but I had run out of tears to cry with.

"If that's what you'd call me," I replied dully. He shifted his weight, and his demeanor became more somber.

"You'll pull through this. Just wait, it'll all be fine," he told me confidently. I didn't really believe it so I didn't respond. I continued to study the wall instead.

"Is that all you wanted to say?" I asked. It came out more rudely than I had intended, but Remus pretended not to notice.

"No, no. I'm leaving first thing in the morning," he began giving me a sympathetic look. "I believe I've caused enough damage here." I looked down feeling guilty.

"It's not your fault," I protested. His eyes seemed sad.

"I know, but unfortunately my continued presence is making Severus even more irritable than usual. Dumbledore has offered to let me stay until term ends, but I declined. I must be moving along." He seemed resigned to this, but it still didn't sit well with me.

"You're a good man, from what I've seen, Remus," I told him firmly. He met my gaze with so much kindness it couldn't help but to lift my spirits.

"Thank you, but I am certain most of your peers would be quite panicked if they knew someone with my condition was staying at the school."

"Will you be taking any potion with you?" I asked, suddenly concerned about his wellbeing. He sighed tiredly.

"Professor Snape has so kindly given me a cauldron's worth of his enhanced potion. I would prefer to avoid contact with Snape all-together, but regular wolfsbane's shelf life is not very long. The modified potion will last for six months," he explained. I had been curious for a while about the practicality of the new potion. I knew some of the wolfsbane potency could be lost from some of the other ingredients, but it seemed to work exceptionally well. I was pleased for Severus.

"How did it go when he gave it to you?" I asked timidly.

"Tensely," he responded shortly. His expression was strained which made me think there was more to it than what he was telling me. I didn't press him though. Remus seemed like the sort that wouldn't take kindly to being interrogated.

We stood in silence for several moments as I fought back the despair that was rising up in me. A couple of students filed by and shot us strange looks. Remus cleared his throat awkwardly, bringing my attention back to him.