Chapter 109

Depuis le début

Michael gritted his teeth. “Sure...Star. Now sit down.”

With a grin on his face, Star plopped down in his seat. Michael went back to recording, successfully working out the kinks in the second verse. But again, Star wouldn’t let him shine.

Star gradually made his way over to the soundboard, and began examining it. He looked dazed at all the buttons and colors. Michael could tell he was going to try to push one.

The man tried to finish his rework of the second verse when-

BRAAAAAAAHT BRAAAAAHHT BRAAAAAHT!

“Star!” Michael shouted, yanking his headphones off. “Star! What are you doing?”

Andre snatched the boy’s hands from the volume screws that were connected to Michael’s headphones.

“I just wanted to see what it did.”

“While I’m recording?” Michael exclaimed, storming out of the booth. “And without asking? I could’ve gone deaf in there!”

Star chuckled.

“Oh so you think it’s funny?”

The boy immediately tightened his lips.

Michael narrowed his eyes, pointing toward the back wall. “Go! Go sit your ass back there, now!”

Star furrowed his angry eyebrows and stormed over to the chair against the back wall. He folded his arms in contempt, mean-mugging Michael the entire time.

Michael tried to reclaim his composure.

“I’m sorry about that Andre. Can we take it from the top?”

“You good, you good. I know how kids be. Go on back in the booth.” Andre replied.

Michael went back into the booth and tried at it again.

“And all ya got ta do is

Not answer my calls when I’m tryna get tha-rough

Ta keep me won-der-in’ why

When all I can do is sigh.

I just wanna touch you.”

Andre stopped the track. “Okay, I like that one. I like that, tha-rough. You good with that one?”

Michael twisted his lips to the side. “Ummm, that last run though. I wanna make that- I just wanna touch you- I wanna make that higher. Almost falset that.”

Andre nodded. “Okay, we’ll start back on, And all you got to do is not answer-, okay? Back on that.”

Michael watched as Andre replayed the track, then began recording that part again.

“And all ya got tuh do is

Not answer my calls when I’m tryna gat tha-rough

Ta keep me wonderin’ why

When all I can do is sigh.

I just wanna-”

Click.

Suddenly, all the sound shut off in the studio. Michael looked back at Star to see him, not where he was supposed to be, playing with wires near the sidewalls of the studio.

“Star!” Michael screamed. Though, the glass prevented Star from hearing him. Michael took his headphones off, swinging the door open and approached Star. The boy backed away, quickly, trying to avoid what he knew was coming.