Familie

Chapter 39: Familie

Family

"When will you realise that they are just spies!" Hermione cried out. Her exasperation with Dumbledore knew no bounds. It was almost as though he took some kind of sick enjoyment in making her as furious as possible.

As much as Hermione failed to realise it at times, Dumbledore did not take her open hostility towards his plans all that well.

"We can not do anything without proof, Hermione," he stated, endeavouring to keep his voice calm although it was now nearing midnight and the pair had been cooped up in his study for the best part of four hours. "The Rowle family are very powerful, whether they are death eaters or not. It would be foolish to single them out and anger them. They have strong allies. Even if what you are saying is true, it would be inviting a death wish upon ourselves to act towards your assumptions."

Hermione's mouth gaped at Dumbledore's response. It was like all her arguments had just gone straight over his head without a single impression.

"Assumptions?" she protested. "Let us not forget that Conrad Rowle is the very reason that I am sitting here in this office speaking with you. He bullied Remus to the point of hospitalisation. In fact, it barely constituted bullying - it was an outright vicious attack! The Albus Dumbledore that I knew is dead in every sense of the word, and I would think that this Dumbledore before me would have quite a different view on the matter. Obviously I was mistaken."

"Indeed you are, Miss Granger," Dumbledore replied in a grave tone. "We reached an impasse on these matters well over a year ago, and yet here you sit before me making demands. I am well aware of the consequences of my actions. Lily and James may end up dead, and it would be a tragic loss for us all; but there is every chance of my plan succeeding. Think of it, Hermione; to live in a world free of Voldemort. We are halfway there. All we need to do is destroy the horcruxes before destroying him. It is all for the greater good."

Hermione snorted in derision. Folding her arms defiantly across her chest, she puffed herself up in her seat as though that action in itself would make her argument more convincing. Surely Dumbledore would have learned his lesson by now when it came to acting on 'the greater good'.

"I have lived in a world without the influence of Voldemort, and it is a glorious sight to behold, I won't argue with you on that; but the fact remains that I have already put myself in irrefutable danger for it. I watched my family and friends be slaughtered when put at the mercy of his followers; and I have been the subject of it as well. Death Eaters have infiltrated the ministry; they are within the school. I have given you a list of exactly who these people are, and you still do not act on it."

The clock chimed midnight, signalling the beginning of a new day. A couple of the portraits sniffled and turned in their sleep. Hermione was sure that she saw Phineas Nigellus blink a couple of times before recommencing his loud and obnoxious snores.

"I think that we should take that as our cue to end this meeting, Hermione," Dumbledore said, standing to guide Hermione out of the office. "Perhaps we could reconvene at another time when it is convenient for you?"

Hermione collected her belongings and followed the Headmaster to the door.

"I suppose that I am obliged to do so, for all the good that it would do for me and my point of view," she sighed. Not forgetting her manners, she bid Professor Dumbledore a good night and set off towards her home.

It would be another lonely evening; sitting alone in the dark with books as her only entertainment.

That was not entirely true - the marauders would occasionally drop by as time would permit, with James and Sirius bringing their significant others; but this was not the same as having someone to chat with all the time. Often, Hermione would find herself turning on the wireless just to hear the sound of new voices; but she quickly found that Celestina Warbeck was not always the best company that she could have.