Meuterei

Chapter 33: Mutiny

"We can't all place our homes under the Fidelius charm. Think of how it would look if we just disappeared off the face of the Earth!"

Alastor Moody growled more than he spoke. Anger bounced off his every word.

"I absolutely agree, Alastor," replied Dumbledore. "I am sure that most of the people in this room would as well."

Dumbledore held out a hand to the occupants of the bar, gesturing to the other members of the Order of the Phoenix as he continued to speak.

"Therefore there must be another plan. Fortunately, my sources have given me information that could lead to the formulation of such a plan."

"Your sources?" scoffed Emmeline Vance. "You seem to have an awful lot of trustworthy sources at this point in time Dumbledore. Who are they, and where are they getting such 'accurate' information?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. Dumbledore's antics had gone far enough, in her opinion. However, Dumbledore was as cool, calm and collected as ever. His voice remained even as he spoke.

"For the moment, that information must only reside with me. It is for the safety of that person, not that I don't trust you, but should it be tortured from someone, the consequences would be disastrous."

Hermione attempted to keep her face neutral, knowing that he was speaking about her. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a flicker of movement from behind a pillar. She gave the figure there an almost imperceptible nod.

"In the meantime," Dumbledore continued to speak, "I would like to welcome yet another new member to our ranks. I introduce to you, Severus Snape."

There were a few sharp intakes of breath, and several people murmured in bewilderment; however, for the most part everyone remained silent in their shock as Snape emerged from behind the pillar.

Hermione felt a disturbance behind her, and turned to see that James and Remus had to hold back a struggling Sirius. James obviously knew about this turn of events, thanks to the previous meeting with Dumbledore, and Remus was far too sensible to engage in physical combat. Lily stood to the side; her eyes wide open in astonishment whilst one hand was resting on protectively on her slightly rounded stomach.

"Severus has decided to aid us in achieving our aims," said Dumbledore, any hint of a twinkle in his eye was gone. He was deathly serious.

"But he's one of them!" an angry voice cried out from the crowd. "He's a death eater!"

Dumbledore held up a hand to silence the room.

"We must not judge others on past mistakes. Severus has learned from his past, and wishes to help our cause. He brings with him a wealth of information that will no doubt be of assistance."

Sirius had stopped struggling behind Hermione, but she couldn't help but notice the firm grip that James had on his arms. Remus stood beside them, staring straight ahead as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

The meeting was quickly drawn to a close by Moody, and each person filed out into the cool autumn air.

James waited until Snape had disapparated before speaking to Hermione in quiet but urgent tones.

"It doesn't take a genius to work out that they weren't happy in there. There will be a mutiny against Dumbledore if he's not careful. He's made a lot of unpopular choices recently."

Hermione walked quickly beside him, rubbing her hands together to keep them warm.

"It will all work out in the end," she murmured, softly enough so that only James would hear.

"I hope it does, not only for Dumbledore's sake, but yours," replied James, peeling himself away from Hermione to rejoin himself to Lily.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Instead of following the example of the others, Hermione did not venture home after the most recent meeting of the Order of the Phoenix. Instead she apparated herself so that she landed just outside the gates of Hogwarts. Here she waited patiently for Dumbledore to join her.

A distinct pop in the air was heard, and Hermione turned to greet the Headmaster.

"James thought that a mutiny would ensue after that meeting," said Hermione, as they made their way up to the castle.

Dumbledore merely chuckled.

"It would not be the first time that my opinion is unpopular," he said. "However, I did think it wise to refrain from telling them that Severus would be a spy for us. Somehow, I think that it would cause further distrust."

Hermione had to stop herself from releasing a sarcastic response at this. Dumbledore really knew how to push his luck, sometimes.

"Be that as it may," replied Hermione, "we still need to get Regulus on our side. Once upon a time, he knew about the horcruxes, and he wanted them destroyed. We have that working in our favour, at the very least."

"It will be no problem summoning him, he is still a student of this school," said Dumbledore. "As such, he is under my jurisdiction until he finishes his seventh year in June, irrespective of the fact that I know he has a dark mark hidden under his uniform."

Hermione opened her mouth to speak.

"Please, Hermione. It is late, and we cannot do anything about it tonight. For your sake, and mine, allow me to convince him. Give me a little time, and I will sway him in our direction. I will send a message to you when he is ready to co-operate."

Dumbledore spoke with such finality that Hermione could not create a reasonable counter-argument. Instead, she bid Dumbledore a goodnight, turned on her heel and walked straight back out the front doors of the castle.

Shaking her head, she disapparated herself back to her home, wondering why she bothered helping in the first place.

Don't forget to comment and vote!