Die Mission Part 3

Part 3: Hermione and James

“It feels like we’ve got the easiest job out of all the teams,” said James to Hermione as they meandered their way through the quaint streets of Hogsmeade.

Hermione walked with her head facing the road ahead, seemingly focused on the task ahead. If she were honest with herself, she was really wondering how on Earth she had managed to pair herself off with James for this mission when he had been so adamant about being paired with Lily.

Oh, yes, now she rememeberd. James was one of few people who knew about the Room of Requirement. There was no chance in hell, heaven or Earth that Hermione would pair herself with Remus; and Sirius was put to better use. He was far more suitable to retrieve Hufflepuff’s cup. Therefore, James became her only option. She did not want the others finding out about the Room of Requirement.

“We’ll see about that when we actually go to retrieve the diadem. They had a tendency to put up a fight.”

James snorted. “Put up a fight? It is a fancy tiara, what kind of fight could it possibly put up?”

Hermione took a moment to give her friend a scathing look before turning her head back to the road. Pulling her hands out of her pockets, she blew her hot breath onto her cold hands. She wished that the weather could be warmer, but at least they were only going as far as Hogwarts.

The familiarity would be far more warming than one of the fires in the Gryffindor common room.

“It is not just a ‘fancy tiara’ James. It is a piece of Voldemort, and I would be rather appreciative if you could take this a bit more seriously. I might have a bit of an idea of what we’re facing, but to be honest with you, I feel like I don’t have any clue at all.”

Sensing that Hermione was being deathly serious, James quietened down. They were on the main road now, quite near the castle. Certainly, they were close enough to see lights flickering at windows, and a small black spot in the distance that signified the front gates of the school.

James looked up ahead, his eyes squinting against the bright light. It was very early in the morning, and the sun was only just rising and casting a faint pink glow to the fallen snow around them.

“I think that’s McGonagall up ahead. She must be there to let us in.”

A couple more minutes of walking found them at the gates of Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall was indeed waiting to let them into the grounds. Despite the early hour, she looked as put together as she always had been. Her hair was pulled back into such a severe bun that Hermione wondered if it ever gave her a headache.

“Come in quickly,” she said in a low voice. “We need to get you in and out before the students come down for breakfast. Do you know exactly where you are heading inside the castle?”

James shrugged his shoulders, and looked over at Hermione. She had her arms up in a gesture that suggested she was blindly following what was in her memory. It had been proved right so far; but it had played tricks on her before, and there was no telling whether her brain was being truthful, or merely creating a memory for the sake of filling in the blanks.

“I don’t know,” Hermione replied, her voice small and defeated. “We will have to see when we get there. All we can do is get up to the Room of Requirement, and see what happens next.”

McGonagall nodded and lead them up to the main doors of the castle. Her voice may have been quiet while they were speaking outside, but now she whispered, fearful of being heard.

“I have to leave you here. I cannot be caught by the other teachers. There would be no explanation that would save us. Good luck.”

With her mouth pressed down into a firm line, she swiftly turned on the spot and began scurrying away presumably back to her own living quarters.