Wendung zum guten

Chapter 9: Wendung zum guten

Turn For The Better

Hermione did not hear the heavy oak door slam back into the frame, and so she continued with the chores in her bedroom, humming softly to herself. She did not see the way in which Remus sat, slumped against the front door, battered and bruised as he attempted to catch his breath. Blood had congealed along the edges of the gash that was positioned just above his left eyebrow. He winced with every ragged breath he took in, one arm draped over his body as it clutched at the pain in his ribs, several bruises scattered across it.

"Mione..." he called out, voice feeble owing to the lack of air that was able to stay in his lungs. There was no response.

"Her-mione," he called out again, trying as hard as he could to amplify the volume of his voice so that he would be heard.

Finally hearing some kind of disturbance coming from the general vicinity of her lounge room, Hermione quickly put away the clothes which she was holding, before hurrying out to figure out the source of the noise.

Hermione had expected to see one or more of the Marauders, as they still continued to visit her quite regularly; however, she did not expect to find Remus curled up on the floor, looking as though he had just lost a particularly violent duel.

"Why are you so hurt?" she cried out when she saw him slumped against the door.

"S'nothin'," replied Remus, desperately trying not to wince as he shifted his body so that it appeared to be more upright. Apparently he did not do a very good job of it because the look of horror on Hermione's face only intensified.

"Where is your wand?" she demanded of him, holding her hand out, ready to accept the magical object.

With the hand that was not keeping his ribs together, he reached into the pocket of his trousers, pulling out the wand, before placing it in Hermione's outstretched hand.

"What're you going to be doing with it?" asked Remus, the analytical part of his brain dulled by pain, could not reason with Hermione's request.

"I'm going to try and mend your injuries as much as possible so that a) Poppy will not ask so many questions about them and b) you can actually get to the Hospital wing. What on Earth did you do to yourself?"

"Wasn't me," rasped Remus, face scrunching up in another wince as Hermione ran the tip of his wand along the cut above his eye.

"I really like," he continued speaking through the pain he felt, "that you are not one of those girls who screams and runs away at these kinds of things."

"You need to report whoever did it to you," replied Hermione in a tone of voice that suggested if Remus had any objections, he should keep them to himself.

"It's alright. I've had a lot worse."

"Worse?" repeated Hermione, her voice unusually high in surprise.

Choosing to remain silent for the remainder of the time which she worked, Hermione continued to move the wand in a series of complicated movements. Stepping back, she held her head slightly to the side, regarding her work.

"That's the best I can do, I'm afraid," she told Remus, who she noticed was now grimacing less and sitting up straighter, although still leaning against the back of the door.

"You're still a little bruised, and I don't know how to repair bones without Skele-grow. I am almost certain your ribs are broke, just by the amount of pain you seem to be in."

"Thanks," replied Remus, his voice a fraction stronger than what I had been several minutes ago. "Can I rest here for a few minutes before I go and see Madam Pomfrey?"