Chapter 20

Chapter 20

       I didn't see Kenny all day yesterday after he randomly got up and left the diner yesterday. He stayed in his room and refused to leave, even at dinner time.

       He even told Mom he was still feeling a bit weak and didn't think he would be up to going to school today, so she let him stay home while Dad was at work and Mom was spending the day with Grandpa.

       Little did he know today was my day off.

       He was probably waiting for Mom to leave because once she closed the door, Kenny came down the stairs. As soon as he saw me sitting at the dining room table, he stopped. "I-I thought you'd be at work," he said.

       "Nope," I said. "Today's my day off. And before you think about doing it, don't go back upstairs. I want to know what's up."

       Kenny looked down. "Nothing."

       "Yes, because you looking down and avoiding eye contact proves to me that nothing is up," I said sarcastically.

       "I'm just....really confused about something," Kenny said.

       "About what?"

       "....My feelings for Calvin."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you confused about? I thought you like him a lot. Like, a lot."

       "I do," Kenny said. "'It's just....If I ask you something, you'll tell me the truth, right?"

       "Yeah, of course."

       "Did Calvin shoot me?"

       "Wait, what?"

       "Calvin. Was it him?"

       "No, definitely not," I said. "Why would you think that?"

       "Because of what....I can't remember her name. Dan's ex. The first one ex."

       "Courtney?" I asked and he nodded. "Because of what she was saying yesterday?" Another nod. "Kenny, everything she said isn't true. Is that why you suddenly left?"

       "Not just that," Kenny said. "One of my memories suddenly came back. It was of me and Calvin arguing and he seemed really angry. I don't know how I could have went to us arguing to me being shot without him doing it."

        I stared at Kenny for a bit before gesturing for him to sit beside me. He did. "Kenny, this is just your memory coming back in parts," I said. "You're still missing a few things. Calvin told me what happened, and I could tell he was telling the truth. You two were arguing, he left, but he felt bad and went back to apologize when he saw you."

       "And....you're sure he's telling the truth?" 

       "Positive. You should have seen how devastated he was to see you in so much pain. He was crying, Kenny. He likes you so much and he hates seeing you hurt. It wasn't him, okay?" 

       "Okay."

       "He went to make sure you were okay after you left. What happened then?"

       "I freaked out at him. I told him not to talk to me ever again....Now I think he hates me."

       "Trust me, he doesn't. He knows your memory is going a bit haywire, so explain to him and he'll understand."

       "I would, but he's at school right now and I'm staying home. There's a rehearsal after school, so I'll just tell Mom I'm feeling better, and that I definitely don't want to miss. I'll talk to him there."