Chapter 7

Chapter 7

       Through all the midst of what was going on with the case, I really needed a break. I was working a lot harder than most police officers because I really wanted to help put the Goodmans at rest. Sure, I wasn't particularly fond of two of them, but they still lost a family member and if that ever happened to me, I'd be devastated.

       I'd gone through the case file over and over again, and analyzed all the evidence we had more than once. I couldn't find anything, but I wasn't going to give up.

       I still needed a break.

       One of Dan's best friend's family owned a night club called Fusion and tonight, they were holding a traffic light party since it was very close to Valentine's Day. Apparently, it was very popular here in Spruceworth.

       A traffic light part was where people where a theme of one of three colors; greed, yellow, and red. Green meant they were single, red meant they were in a relationship, and yellow meant it was a possibility or their current situation was complicated.

       The party at the night club was for ages sixteen to twenty-two, and I was a bit surprised when Kenny said he was going. He wasn't really a party person, and I was certain he wasn't going to go looking for a relationship.

       If he was, I was going to be a very confused person.

       "I still don't get why you're going," I said as I heard Kenny come down the stairs. "You hate parties."

       "I don't hate parties," Kenny said as he reached downstairs. "I would just rather be at home eating food and watching TV."

       Kenny wasn't even wearing green like I thought he would. He was wearing yellow.

       Well, I guess it made sense since it was complicated for him right now.

       "Then why aren't you staying home?" I asked.

       Kenny shrugged. "I don't know. I thought I'd try something new."

       "Uh huh," I said. "Is Calvin going?"

       "Hey, shouldn't we be going there now?" Kenny asked, completely avoiding my question. How cute. He thought that would make me forget about what I had just asked him.

       "Fine, fine," I said. "I'll find out once we get there."

       Right as we opened the door to leave our house, Mom was walking up the front steps, carrying a few grocery bags. "Where are you two heading off to?" she asked.

       "Oh, the night club," I said. "They're holding a traffic light party since Valentine's Day is around the corner."

       Mom nodded. "I'm surprised you're wearing green, Horatio. Judging about how many times you've talked about Ariella, I'd assume you'd wear red."

       "All in good time," I said.

       Mom then looked at Kenny. "Yellow? Now you I thought would wear green."

       "Oh, it's, uh, complicated," Kenny said. "But yeah, I'm going to head off now, so...." Before Mom could say anything else, we walked down the front steps and in the direction of the night club.

       "What's so complicated?" Mom asked.

       "Oh, you know Kenny," I said. "He's not really interested in getting a girlfriend at his age, but he might be up to getting to know some people. Yeah, I'm going to head off too."

       "Alright, have fun," Mom said. "Please, make sure Kenny doesn't drink anything. I don't get why the night club is letting people around his age in."