Chapter 5

Chapter 5

       I never knew how quickly Spruceworth could go from being a peaceful village to one that had everyone living in fear. 

       Spruceworth didn't have a high crime rate. The crimes committed mainly had to do with robbery, assault, and drugs. Nothing about murders. There was only one, but that was over fifteen years ago.

       So when the police station got the call, it threw everyone into shock.

       My shift just ended and since I didn't have to go anywhere straight afterwards, I was able to go to the change room and change out of my uniform. After my uniform was hanging in my locker, I went to my desk to grab my cell phone and wallet when the call came.

       The chief, Angus Glenn, was gathering a few officers to respond to the call they just got and it was really frantic. "What's going on?" I asked Angus.

       "There was a murder," Angus said. "Someone was found dead with a bullet to their heart in their own home."

       "Oh my....Really?" I asked.

       "Yeah, shocked me too," Angus said. "Hasn't been a murder in over fifteen years here."

       "Who was the victim?" I asked, thought I probably didn't know them since I hadn't been in Spruceworth to know a lot of people.

       "Sylvia Goodman," Angus replied.

       Now that was a name I knew.

       "G-Goodman?" I asked. "As in....the Goodmans? The ones who own the hotel?"

       Angus nodded. "Yes, that's them. Why?"

       "Can I come?" I asked.

       "You're shift ended, though," Angus said. "You're already out of uniform."

       "No, not to investigate," I said. "I know one of the victim's relatives and I want to make sure she's okay."

       Angus agreed to it, so I followed him and the other police officers out of the station and to where the cars were parked. We drove to the house where a lot of people were gathered outside, mainly the Goodmans. 

       I got out of the car and scanned the crowd for Ariella. She looked over, as did a few other people since it was the police showing up, and spotted me. I walked over to her and she met me halfway, wrapping her arms tightly around me. I hugged her back, letting her cry into my chest. "I'm so sorry," I said softly.

      "She was the best aunt ever," Ariella said, keeping her arms around me. "She let me get away with so many things that my parents wouldn't have agreed to me doing. I was talking to her only an hour ago and now....Now she's gone."

       I pulled away and cupped her face in my hands, wiping her tears away in the meantime. "The police are going to do everything we can to find out who did this," I said. "They're not going to get away with this."

       Ariella nodded and I pulled her into a hug again. 

       "What's going on?" I heard Calvin suddenly asked. I looked over, seeing him standing beside Kenny. "And why are there so many police cars?"

       "Where did you two come from?" I asked.

       "Well, when a man and a woman have s--" Calvin began, and Kenny elbowed his side.

       "I don't think he meant that," Kenny said before he looked at me. "We were running lines together since most of the scenes we have a together. Seriously, though, what's going on?"

       I sighed. "There was a....murder. Ariella's aunt."

       "What?" Calvin said. "Oh, let me give you a hug, bestie." Ariella pulled away from me and Calvin gave her a hug. "I'm so sorry. That's so hard to believe. What exactly happened?"

       "She was shot," Ariella said. "Alex was the one who found her. She went home and saw her mom just....just laying there."

       "Who would want to do that?" Calvin asked.

       "I don't know," Ariella said. "I really don't know...."

       "Sylvia is such a nice person, though," Calvin said. "Even though we didn't really get along, I still think she is....was one of the nicest people ever."

       "Why didn't you get along?" I asked.

       "Oh, because she didn't really agree with the whole me being gay thing," Calvin said. "I mean, it wasn't anything bad like her telling me I was going to hell or anything. It was just that she didn't agree with it, but she didn't hate me over it and we did get along from time to time."

       "I just wish I knew what happened," Ariella said. "And who would do such a thing."

       "I can go see if they have anything so far," I said. "Do you want me to?"

       Ariella nodded. "Yeah, that would help."

       "In the meantime, I will go take you to get some ice cream, okay?" Calvin said. "Any flavor you want with whoever many toppings you want, and I'll be paying. Then we'll go see our goddaughter to make you feel better. Sound like a plan?"

       "Yeah, thanks," Ariella said. "You're the best."

       "I know I am," Calvin said.

       "I'll text you if I find anything out, okay?" I said, and Ariella nodded.

       "Alright, let's go, bestie," Calvin said, throwing his arm around Ariella's shoulder. "I'll see you later, Kenny."

       "See you," Kenny said.

       After they walked away, Kenny looked at me. "Have you ever been on a crime scene yet?" he asked.

       "Nope, but there's a first time for everything," I said. "Can you tell Mom and Dad I might be late for dinner?"

       "Yeah," Kenny said.

       When he walked off to head home, I walked into the house to see if they knew anything. Angus looked at me as soon as I was inside. "Simms, you're off of duty," he said. "You don't have to be in here."

       "I know," I said. "But the victim is my friend's aunt, so I want to see if there's anything I can do to help out."

       "You do know you won't get paid for overtime, right?" 

       "Yes, I know, and I don't care about the pay right now," I said.

       "Well, go ahead," Angus said. "The body's in the kitchen if you want to check around there, or you can check any other place."

        I nodded, knowing I was going to have to avoid the kitchen for now. I didn't really want to see a dead body in person quite yet. So, I began looking around other places.

        The first thing I actually found something out was the backdoor, which was clearly broken. I called Angus over and he walked to where I was. "It was clearly a break-in," Angus said, then looked out the door. "A well-executed one. The backyard is a high fence and behind it is a bunch of trees. Nobody would have noticed anyone slip in and out. Keep looking around. There has to be something that will help link us to the killer."

________________

:O The first kill....

Guyssssssssss I actually found another actor I think fits Kenny a lot more. cx But I love Logan Lerman, so I am creating a new character just for Logan Lerman so I won't have to cut him from the cast list completely. cx SO WE'RE GETTING ANOTHER GOLDSWORTH WOOT WOOT.

I was going to leave Logan Lerman as Kenny, but now I can't stop thinking how perfect I think the other actor is. cx Therefore, I shall make Dan a cousin so Logan will still be part of the cast. 

So, are there any guesses to who the murderer will end up being?