Chapter 8

Chapter 8

       "Are you going to work today?" Mom asked me as I came down the stairs close to eleven o'clock Sunday morning. Mom and Dad hated it when Kenny and I slept in too late so if it was eleven and we were still in bad, they would pour cold water on us.

       Seriously, eleven in the morning wasn't even that late. They should at least wait until noon to see if we were out of bed.

       "No, not today," I said as I saw down at the table. Dad was in the middle of cooking brunch, something he always did on Saturdays. "I've been working really hard these past few days so the chief gave me the weekend off. I just really want to know who would kill Ariella's aunt."

       "Do you guys have any leads?" Mom asked.

       I shook my head. "No, we still don't have any. I've gone over every piece of evidence and everything in the case file more than once. Whoever did it thought it through really carefully. I just hope that it isn't going to be an unsolved case."

       "Well, your father and I are proud of you for working so hard, especially when you're still new to the job," Mom said.

       "Being a police officer isn't a job someone can take lightly after all," I said. "It's a lot of hard work, but I still like it."

       "Yeah, I remember when you were five when you first said you wanted to be a police officer," Mom said. "It's amazing seeing my son doing what he always dreamed of doing."

       Dad finished making brunch and by the time everything was set on the table, it was about eleven-fifteen.

       And Kenny still wasn't downstairs yet, so Dad started filling up a glass of cold water.

       I wasn't joking when I said he would pour water on us.

       Luckily for Kenny, he walked down the stairs as he rubbed his eyes right as Dad turned off the sink. Dad looked over and set the glass of water on the counter. "Good, you're awake," Dad said. "I was about to dump water on you."

       "Sorry," Kenny said as he sat down at the table. "I had a hard time waking up."

       "Kenny, what is that on your neck?" Mom asked.

       Kenny looked confused at first, probably because he was exhausted and wasn't fully paying attention as to what was going on, but then realized what Mom was talking about. Looks like somebody forgot about it and didn't think to cover it up.

       "Oh, uh, it's a bug bite," Kenny said.

       Dad sat down at the table and raised an eyebrow. "That does not look like a bug bite."

       "It is," Kenny said. "I don't know what else it would be."

       "Kenny," Mom said in a warning tone.

       "What?" Kenny asked, trying his best to sound innocent. "I don't know what you think it is. I swear, it's a bug bite."

       "Kenny, come on," Dad said. "Your mother and I were teenagers before. We know what a hickey looks like."

       "Yes, and please do not get another one," Mom said. "Because one thing will lead to another and before you know it, you get a girl pregnant before marriage."

       I was trying my best not to snort. Oh, trust me Mom, Kenny was not going to get a girl pregnant.

       I said something else though. "Mom, there isn't anything wrong with a girl getting pregnant before marriage," I said. "You know, like your niece? She had a baby, and she and Dan are doing perfectly fine."

       "I know, but she isn't my daughter so I don't have a say in it," Mom said. "But I do have a say in what my sons do."

       "Mom, you seriously don't have to worry about that," Kenny said. "This," he pointed to his hickey, "is a bug bite, I swear."

       "Kenny, seriously, we're not idiots," Mom said. "I bet your brother will even agree with us."

       "I don't know, it kind of does look like a bug bite to me," I said. "Even if it wasn't, he's a teenager. It's normal. I've given and received hickeys at a younger than him."

       Mom gave me a flat look. "Really, Horatio?"

       "Don't give me that look," I said. "You know it's true."

       Mom sighed, thankfully dropping the conversation. I could tell Kenny was getting uncomfortable.

       When we finished eating, Mom and Dad said they had to head into the city to get a few things they couldn't buy at any of the stores here in Spruceworth. After they left, Kenny sighed and flopped down on the couch, rubbing his face. 

       I sat down on the couch. "Hey, that was so your fault," I said. "You should have covered it up."

       "Okay, first off, I forgot about it," he said. "And second, how? Mom is the only one with make up in the house and I already woke up late."

       "I feel sorry for you," I said. "I would have hatred being grilled like that."

       "If you think that was bad, wait until they find out exactly who gave it to me," Kenny said.

       "What exactly is going on between you and Calvin?" I asked.

       Kenny shrugged. "I don't know. We're just....letting things go with the flow. He knows I'm not ready to come out yet and he's fine with not making things public. I don't even know if I'm ever going to be ready to come out."

       "Why not?" I asked. 

       "Uh, because of Mom and Dad," Kenny said. "You really think they'll accept it?"

       "Eventually, yes," I said. "I'm not telling you to come out now, but just know you can't hide it your whole life. Mom and Dad love you and if they see how much Calvin means to you...."

       "He doesn't mean that much."

       "Yeah, you're not fooling anyone. I know he means a lot to you. I've never seen you this happy before and you two are always hanging out together. And doing more stuff judging by the hi--"

       "Shut up."

       "I'm just saying...."

       "Yeah? And I'm saying shut up."

       "You're really moody."

       "I'm not moody."

       "You're moody."

       "Whatever."

       Someone knocked on the door so I got up to answer it. Calvin was the one at the door. "Hey," he said. "Is Kenny there? I thought we'd run our lines together."

       "Yeah, hold on," I said before turning to Kenny. "Hey, Kenny. Your gentleman-friend is here. He wants to run lines."

       Kenny got up from the couch and walked over. "Seriously, Horatio. Shut up."

       "Come on, where's the fun in that?" I asked. "It's my duty as an older brother to bug you."

       "Well, can you go away?"

       "Harsh. Don't worry, I won't bug you anymore. Just make sure if you get another bug bite, you cover it up."

       "Seriously. Go. Away."

       I just shrugged and headed back to the couch I was sitting on, turning on the TV to watch some movies so I could relax this weekend.

_______________

Ooh, 2 more chapters for the next murder. :O

I get wayyyyyy to distracted writing at times. cx My bad. I just randomly stop writing and go on YouTube and forget I was working on a chapter. WOOPS.

I have so much planned for this book which is why I'm updating one chapter every day. cx THERE'S JUST GOING TO BE A LOT OF DRAMA AND I LOVE IT.