Arms of Refuge - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The houses whipped by in a blur as I pelted along the streets in a haze of terror. It was a race for my life. I would of screamed if I could, but I was unable to. I'm mute you see. I can see and hear perfectly well, but no matter how hard I try - I've never been able to speak. Anyhow. I guess you want to know why I'm running for my life. I was being chased by who I guessed was my stalker. Over the last few months I've been getting prank calls where the other person breathed hard down the phone at me. I have a special phone you see where I can type and a mechanical voice says what I can't. Bet you were thinking if I'm mute how can I use a phone.. anyhow. The calls. The caller didn't really say anything. Just stayed on the line and breathed heavily really. It wasn't like I got the calls that often at first so I didn't take them too seriously but I'm wishing I had now. I was running to stay alive. Guess there's no better reason to run.

I glanced behind me and the man was still chasing me. He was large, imposing and most certainly looked threatening. To my sheer horror he was gaining on me. The sun was beginning to set and real fear started to set in. My legs were trembling with exhaustion. Not sure how long I'd been running for but I knew I needed to get somewhere safe soon or I wouldn't get the choice of where I stopped. My legs would decide for me. I peeked behind me again and dread struck me. The man was gaining on me faster than I could outrun.

Ahead there was an intersection. I veered left and darted across the road. How could the streets be so void of foot traffic. Surely had someone been around the chaser would have stopped. I would have stopped at a house but what if no-one was in. I'd be well and truly screwed. As it was I was losing the chase. The stalker was gaining on me and there was nothing I could do. My own feet hitting the pavement was all I could really hear, well, that and my heart pumping so hard it felt as though it would burst out of my chest. I veered right along the next street and made it maybe 5-10 strides before coming to an abrupt halt. I'd ran into a cul de sac. I span in circles looking for some sort of way out, noticing all of the houses along here had hedge walls and gates for privacy.

Footsteps approached noisily behind me and before I knew what was happening I was thrown to the ground, his weight pinning me down. The impact vibrated along my body as I collided with the ground. I kicked out and slapped at my attacker for all I was worth but with the long chase my muscles were trembling with fatigue. I was struggling and struggling until he raised his hand back and slapped me straight across the face. My vision wavered and pain radiated through my head. He'd hit me really hard and I could taste blood pooling in my mouth. The fight drained out of me as disorientation took over. I couldn't see straight, the street was spinning. I was vaguely aware that he held my hands above my head. His mouth was beside my ear whispering things to me, about what he was going to do now that he'd caught me and how naughty I was to run from him. He tore through my T-shirt so savagely and with such strength that my body jerked with the force. His free hand snaked up my torso and he gripped my left breast in his hand and squeezed so hard that I flinched in pain - at which point he chuckled. He released my breast and, while still holding me down, he began unbuttoning my jeans. I don't know how he managed it while holding me down with one of his hands but he managed to get my jeans and underwear off. I was laid on the street with my top torn to shreds and nothing on below the waist. I tried to fight again but he reared back and hit me again. Same place. More blood flowed into my mouth and my cheek burned. I heard his zip lower and flinched again. He leant down and whispered about how much he was going to enjoy this. I shook in fear and then it happened. He pushed himself in me in a surge. A tear rushed down my face and my body contorted in pain. He kept me held down and had his way with me. I'm honestly not sure how long it lasted but I remember him moving his free hand to groping my breasts, whispering all the while how tight I was for him, How I'd be his. That this was our first date, and how our next would be better. How next date he'd take me some place else. He chuckled after that comment. Numbness overtook me as he repeatedly thrust into me. He shuddered and jerked above me in his release and then he laid on top of me for a few moments - spent. Moments passed and he began to raise up off me. I laid completely still, avoiding eye contact. He lowered himself to look at me and spoke quietly.

'I expected you to scream for me darlin'. I wanted you to scream for me. You'll scream next time though, I'll make sure of it. I'm going to punish you now for not giving me what I wanted.' He whispered harshly.

He pulled his foot back and began kicking me. Mainly in the abdominal area. My body recoiled each time he struck me. After maybe around 10 good, hard kicks he looked at me once more and whispered fiercely how he'd see me soon. I cringed and he chuckled viciously. Then he turned and ran, but not before picking up my jeans and underwear to take with him.

I laid on the floor crying silently for a few moments. The pain was agonising. I was in so much pain it hurt to breath. My ribs throbbed - may have been broken, my head hurt and where he had brutalised me hurt. My Jeans and knickers gone - the bastard took them. I wore nothing but the tattered remains of my T-shirt. I rolled over onto my stomach slowly and began to pull myself up to stand. I staggered along heading for the closest house. I passed through the gate and lurched along to the door. It seemed to take an eternity but I made it to the door. I hesitated before knocking, praying, just praying that who-ever was inside was a genuine person and not someone about to make my life worse than it was.

I tapped on the door feebly and collapsed on the floor. Weak and shaking so bad my teeth were chattering and my vision was wavering. I tapped again feeling the haze of shock closing in, knowing that soon I'd pass out. As I heard the approach of footsteps from within the house my body gave up the fight and I fell into the darkness.

***

'WHAT?!' I growled angrily as I opened the door.

No-one was there - maybe a prank called. Least thats what I thought until I glanced down at the floor. What I saw froze my blood in my veins. There was a young woman laid against the wall unconcious. Badly beaten by the looks of it and by all appearances - raped. She wore nothing below the waist and the T-shirt she was wearing was torn to shreds.

'DAN! GET OUT HERE MAN!!' I called out harshly.

I lowered down and felt her wrist for a pulse. It was there thundering along thankfully.

'DAN! NOW MAN! FOR FUCK SAKE HELP ME!!' I yelled savagely. Dan probably thought I was playing a prank.

'Dude. Whats got your panties in a twist?!' Dan chuckled until he came to the doorway.

'Shit.' Dan breathed out.

'Go get something to cover her with. And call an ambulance.' I instructed, watching as Dan went back into the house.

I kneeled beside her and took hold of her hand, lightly stroking along the back side of it while whispering to her that she was safe. No one would hurt her here. She was so petite. maybe 5ft4in at most. Long brown hair. She was pretty aswell. She looked so innocent and small. How could anyone hurt her this way. It was unfathomable.

Suddenly her eyes snapped open and I saw sheer, unadulterated fear. she yanked her hand out of mine and her chest began heaving up and down savagely as though she was preparing to scream - when she opened her mouth I braced myself for the ear splitting screech and was startled to hear silence. It looked as though she were screaming but nothing was coming out.

'I live here honey, we've called an ambulance - help is on the way.' I said gently with my hands up in an unarmed and harmless gesture.

A tear escaped her eyes and slowly meandered down her face over a mark that was sure to bruise. She slowly began trying to back away, scrambling to get up but unable to she slowly began crawling backwards away from me.

'Dan, Blanket now man! You called the ambulance yet?' I shouted into the house.

'Coming dude, and not yet' Dan hollered back.

'Dan, bring some paper and a pen aswell.'

She looked up when I said that and stopped trying to get away. She pushed herself against the wall of the house and began crying. Heart wrenching hiccupy sobs and sniffles were the only sounds coming from her. She broke down completely and utterly. I approached her slowly on my hands and knees to look less threatening. Took my shirt off slowly and draped it over her. I slowly lowered myself beside her, looked at her and lifted my arm so she could take comfort if she needed it. She leaned in and fell apart in my arms.