Chapter 13: Heritage

Start from the beginning

Frostbite chuckled at the young halfa, "Well we can't have that. I enjoyed your company too, Great One. Let me escort you back to your ward."

-PotC-

Danny shook his head, mentally berating himself for losing his focus. He breathed deeply in through his nose and resumed his meditation.

He was in the middle of training his mind. Without constant, unwavering vigilance and iron control over his emotions, his hold over his ghost core would become unstable. Which will then cause his ice powers to leak and act out sporadically.

When he was first introduced to Frostbite and his people, they had sent him into the medical chamber for a quick check-up. Vlad's institution was proven correct in that Danny had an ice core and that was what caused the emergence of his new ice abilities which froze Spectra. His core had finally matured enough for him to manifest his inner ice physically. Apparently, his chilly, unique ghost-sense was also another byproduct of his ice core too. It explained why his breath will come out in cold wisps whenever he was in the presence of another ghost.

He was lucky in that he was able to find a mentor early on to help coach him on using his budding powers properly. If left to his own devices, he was told that his icy core would have fluctuated and caused him innumerable amounts of problems, ranging from intense cold flashes, random frost build-up on his body, freezing his surroundings (including other living beings), to even causing small snow storms and blizzards in his vicinity. In order to prevent any chance of this happening, Danny was dedicating himself to his practice exercises.

While he was shaping a small piece of ice into several different and complex forms, he felt a sudden presence appear behind him.

Startled, he gave a small shriek. Dropping the delicately figured sculpture, it shattered into several tiny fragments onto the hard floor. A deep, baritone laugh could be heard. Danny glared at his father angrily, flashing his 'scary eyes' to show the man that he was not amused. He had worked hard on that ice sculpture, finally managing to shape it into a beautiful rose. The Cheesehead had definitely done surprised him on purpose!

"Did you really have to teleport in here? Can't you use the door like a normal person?" The younger halfa grumbled.

"No, that would be impractical. Why should I not use my superior abilities whenever I please?"

"Hmm, I don't know, maybe it can be considered as abusing your powers."

Vlad gave Danny a mock look of aghast, "Nonsense, why should I condemn myself to the likes of the lower class?"

"No Father, that's called being a human."

Vlad grinned, "We are not human, though."

Danny slapped a palm on his face and groaned, "I apologize if the concept of conserving your powers is too hard for you to wrap your inflated ego around. It must truly be painful for you to lower yourself to human standards. Please forgive my audacity, my apparent better." He gave an exaggerated bow to the older halfa.

Vlad frowned while Danny grinned victoriously. "Enough with the banter, I need you to come with me. I have some important business that I need to discuss with you upstairs."

"So you didn't come here to chat with little ol' me?" Danny said cheekily. Vlad ignored him and proceeded to walk out the room. Turning off the lights to the training room, Danny trailed after him.

When they came upon the study, Vlad glanced down at the boy. "There are some guests that I want you to meet." He then pushed open the door.

Danny blinked, then blinked again. There sitting comfortably on the chesterfield sofa were two "wizards" (or what he assumed from their odd clothing style. They had the robes and wands, all they were missing was the pointy wizard's hat to finish the picture). The darker man had sickly, pale pallor with greasy, black hair, while the other guest differed greatly by wearing a robe that had two very loud, contrasting colors of neon orange and green. The peculiar combination was so revolting, it should have made Vlad gag in disgust. Why would Vlad allow wizards into the mansion, it wasn't like he was hosting a child's birthday party today.