Chapter 4: Isolated

Danny waited for Vlad in the main foyer. After a tense breakfast, Danny gave up on continuing the silent treatment he had with the older man. He couldn't stay upset at the man because long ago Danny realized that everything that the older halfa did was for Danny's best interest. Yeah, Vlad could have gone about a better approach to stop him from arriving at school late, but personally driving him there was probably the most effective way to keep an eye on him. Making sure that nothing can intercept Danny on his route to school. No ghost was stupid enough to assault him when Vlad was around unless they were suicidal.

Vlad finally made his way downstairs. "Good morning, Daniel. Are you ready to leave?" Danny pulled his school bag onto his shoulder and nodded his head in assent.

When they walked out of the mansion, Danny stopped, "Can we not go in the limo today? I don't want anyone at school to know that I live with you."

"And why is that?" Vlad raised a questioning brow at his young charge.

Danny gave Vlad a pointed look, "You're freakin' Vlad Masters, one of the richest man in America! Everyone in Amity Park knows you." Danny waved his arms to emphasize. "I don't want the other kids at school to find another thing to use against me..."

"Daniel, you should not be bothered by how others view you. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You mustn't concern yourselves with them." Vlad chided to the boy.

"I know but I rather not start any trouble."

Vlad let out a sigh, "Alright, we will not be using the limousine today." Vlad led Danny to another car. Pulling out his keys, the man opened the driver's door. Noting that the boy did not follow him in, "Daniel, do you need an invitation?"

"Seriously Vlad. What part of me 'wanting to remain inconspicuous' do you not understand?"

Of course, the car that Vlad picked was none other than a Lamborghini Veneno. The sleek black car was not only known for its speed but it was also one of the most expensive production cars on the market. The beast literally looked like the Batmobile and screamed WEALTHY.

"Uh, Vlad. I take that back. I'd rather take the limo."

"Nonsense, my boy. Get in." The man chuckled at the boy's reaction. Shaking his head, Danny rolled his eyes at the older halfa and climbed into the car.

-PotC-

Once the two halfas were a block from Casper Middle, Danny turned to Vlad. "You can drop me off here, I can walk the rest of the way." Vlad pulled them up to the curb.

Before Danny left the vehicle Vlad grabbed the boy's sleeve. "I will be traveling in the Ghost Zone today to search for a possible mentor for you, so I will be unable to pick you up after school. Give Carlos a call when you need a ride and he will come to you with the limousine."

"Got it. I will see you later today Vlad." Danny waved farewell to his ward and made his way towards Casper Middle School. As he left Vlad's line of sight, the cheerful smile faded from his face. Discarding his ebullient facade, he assumed his dispirited mask reserved for the student body at Casper: the withdrawn, antisocial geek. Hunching his posture and lowering his gaze, Danny mentally prepared himself for today's torture at his own personal hell. Keeping a lookout for a certain blond jock, he slowly trudged his way inside the building.

No sooner had he entered the building did his ghost-sense set off, the tell-tale blue wisps escaped his open mouth, alerting him of a ghost's presence in the school.

Danny froze for a moment, hesitant over whether he should go after the ghost or head to class. Of course, his hero-complex had to rear its head into his conscience, guilty over his selfish indecision to help people, Danny looked up at the clock in the hall. If he hurried, he might be able to make it to class in time.