Small Wishes

He was running, two of his friends in front of him urging him to keep on running. "Keep up damnit!" Alex yelled at him. "Am trying Alex!" Kade yelled back. His legs were burning and so heavy, he kept forcing himself to keep up with his mates but it was impossible. His breathing was erratic and his lungs were burning. He could see the end of the long hallway, it was dark but he saw the reflection of the moonlight in the steel door. 'Keep going keep going almost there.' Kade kept repeating in his head. His friends reached the door and swung it open, nearly slamming it off its hinges against the concrete wall. As he stumbled through the door opening and ran into the wall, he quickly jumped up to slam the door shut. Putting his back against it as he bent over to catch his breath. Hoping to hold whatever was chasing him and his friends out at the same time.

- - /end recap - -

"Alex, what the fuck happened? Why are we running?" Kade asked still breathing heavily.

"Alex I asked yo-" He cut himself off as he noticed neither of his friend were with him.

"What the hell?!" As he straightened up something heavy slammed into the door making him stumble forward. He started running again, left, left, right, left, right and right again. As he rounded another corner he slipped and fell, he hit his head on the floor and everything began to spin, twist and turn. As he tried to get up, 2 hands grabbed his leg and pulled him backwards. He began to thrash and tried to kick back then heard a voice shout whisper behind him "Stop, hide here he's coming!" He let himself get pulled backwards in what seemed to be a vent shaft. Once he was inside a small body pressed passed him to put the vent screen back into place. Kade backed away further to give the person more space. As he crawled suddenly the shaft gave way and he slid backward with a startled yelp, trying to get a grip on anything with both his hands and feet. He looked up to see if the person who helped him earlier was there but all he saw was darkness as he slid further down.

As he kept sliding down on his belly and then shaft disappeared and he fell into darkness.

With a startled cry Kade woke up, soaked in sweat and breathing heavily.

"It was just a dream.." he told himself trying to calm down his franticly beating heart. He got up and walked over to the bathroom, still slightly disorientated from the nightmare.

He had a hot shower to get rid of the clammy and choking feeling and to ease his tense muscles.

When he finished his shower he got dressed and moved over to the kitchen, Kade whipped some eggs, threw in some spices and made scrambled eggs.
After breakfast he grabbed his laptop to do some job hunting. "No. No, no. Not really, no, HELL NO am not gonna work in some shit kitchen again." As he got up he racked his hand through his hair in irritation. "I need cigarets and beers." He said to himself as he walked to his front door, grabbing his cap on the way and putting it on. Remembering the weather from the night before he pulled out a different pair of sneakers and his summer jacket. 'Screw the cold, its better than wet.' He thought as he slipped on his shoes and went down the stairs.

Once he got to the front door and walked the few steps down to the sidewalk while he pulled up his hood. As he made his way to the closest kiosk to buy cigarets and checked his phone, luckily he put it on the charger just before he fell asleep. Scrolling through the news as he walked, not really paying full attention to either.

When he got his cigarets he decided he might as well have a beer in a bar, screw saving as much possible. As Kade walked back towards his apartment he spotted a bar. Quickly crossing the street he walked inside, shrugging off his hood in the process, and headed straight for the bar without paying too much attention to his surroundings.

"One from the tap please, big one yep." As the barkeeper passed him the beer he nodded his thanks. "Want it on a tab or ..?" The barkeeper asked while resuming his work of cleaning already clean parts of the bar top.