Raining Again

As he was walking down the side walk, a car sped passed him, driving through a puddle that was on the street. An array of curse words left his mouth while he flipped off the driver. Who of course didn't give a toss and kept on driving.

It had already been a miserable day for Kade, he lost his job and now he was also soaking wet. The only thing that kind off, well no it did not brighten his day, but that ass was driving an old Mustang. And he absolutely loved those old cars.

Dripping as he went he kept on shambling to his apartment. At least he managed to save up enough money to be able to cover 1, maybe 2 months if he kept his spending to a minimum, until he would run out. Where in heavens name could he find a new job. In spring it might be easier, but not now, not in autumn with winter coming soon. People go out less, buy less, everyone is more miserable than ever. And so was he.

He put his hand in the pocket of his jacket to retrieve his key, unlocking the front door before he walked in. Leaving a trail of water he went up 3 flights of stairs. It may be the smallest apartment, but he had a balcony and no upstairs neighbours. Opening the door to his apartment he kicked off his shoes and left them at the front door, at least he remembered to leave the heating on so it was nice and warm as he closed the door behind him. As he walked into the bathroom he quickly took of his still dripping wet clothes and stepped into the shower.

A sigh escaped his lips as the warm water fell down onto his head. Kade quickly finished showering, towelled down and put on some warm sweatpants and a hoodie.

Tomorrow he would go out and search for a new job. Tonight he would eat pasta, which was his favorite, and relax. Feeling tired already he decided to have the easiest meal he could come up with, penne with green pesto and grated cheese. While the penne were cooking Kade turned on the TV to pass the 10 long minutes it would take to cook. As he was waiting and not really paying attention to the TV his mind drifted off. Where would he possibly find a job... he would kill for a beer now but he didn't have any left and forgot to buy some on his way home. He could go to a bar after dinner.
Quickly he drowned that thought, tonight he was gonna relax on the sofa and do nothing.

When his pasta was done, he drained the water and mixed it with green pesto on his plate and dropped a ton of cheese on top. It was more like cheese and pasta. He quickly dug in.

When he finished his meal he put the dishes in the sink and went outside on his balcony.
Lighting the last cigaret in his pack, he also forgot to buy those. "Fuck." he cursed out loud.

Taking a drag, he looked up to the sky. The stars weren't very visible cause it took some time for his eyes to adjust. Usually it wasn't easy to see them in most cities, but as he lived on the outskirts of town he could see the bright North Star, and after his eyes adjusted completely, he could see many more stars. While admiring the stars he finished his cigaret and smothered the bud in the ashtray that was on a small table.

He closed the door behind himself before grabbing the remote from the dining table and stretched out on the sofa. Tomorrow he would go look for a job. Maybe at a bar, that could be fun.

As he flipped through the channels in the end he got stuck on Animal Planet. As the narrator was talking about the penguins who were waddling on his screen, his eyes slowly became heavier and he drifted off, not giving a shit that tomorrow he would wake up slightly stiff from sleeping on the sofa, again.

- - - - -

He was running, 2 of his friends in front of him urging him to keep on running. "Keep up damnit!" Alex yelled at him. "Am trying Alex!" Kade yelled back. His legs were burning and so heavy, he kept forcing himself to keep up with his mates but it was impossible. His breathing was erratic and his lungs were burning. He could see the end of the long hallway, it was dark but he saw the reflection of the moonlight in the steel door. 'Keep going keep going almost there.' Kade kept repeating in his head. His friends reached the door and swung it open, nearly slamming it off its hinges against the concrete wall. As he stumbled through the door opening and ran into the wall, he quickly jumped up to slam the door shut. Putting his back against it as he bent over to catch his breath. Hoping to hold whatever was chasing him and his friends out at the same time.