My laughter was quiet. "I know exactly how you feel. We can't be friends but we can't be more than friends either."

"My guess is that we're just meant to exist," He shrugged.

I don't know if it happened to be the delicious champagne he had ordered or that romantic gesture of walking around Central Park, but by the time we reached my apartment, I was swooning under Nate Chester's charm. At the door, he stepped forward to where I could feel his warm breath on my forehead. 

"What are you –"

Before I could protest, his lips crashed onto mine.

We kissed.

And hell, could Nate Chester kiss. It was tantalizing, making my mind swirl in a melting pot of indulgence and bliss. There was a serious make out session that followed shortly after, in the foyer of my apartment. Skin, hair, lips, tongue. Hands interlacing, fingers running grazing soft flesh, necks hot and smothered. There was a lot of heated tension going on and I couldn't feel anything except pleasure.

But just as fast as it came, it went away.

"We can't," I breathed out when we broke apart. "We can't do this anymore."

Nate pressed his forehead against mine and nodded. "Okay. But it feels-"

"I know," I stopped him. "But we can't."

When he saw the gravity in my eyes, he returned the same look with intensity. "Okay."

As we decided to part ways, we came to an agreement that this would never happen again. The pact was in high effect once more. This was the last time I'd ever get to touch Nate, feel him, and breathe him. After last night, we were nothing but two infatuated souls working in the same office.

It was inappropriate. I know. But for an inexplicable reason, the pieces fell into place. Mesmerizing and illuminating something inside me in a way I've never been touched before. I couldn't place it in my heart or mind where this feeling was coming from. The way I felt around Nate wasn't internal - I didn't feel a spark or butterflies - but as if feeling his touch satisfied this savage hunger of mine. I found myself yearning for his touch throughout the night and then cursing myself, knowing I had to stop.

It wasn't true love, it wasn't even real. But hell, it was the closest to a romantic experience I've ever had.

__________________________________

The next day at work, the other interns swarmed around me like bees to a hive. They threw a million questions at my direction about dinner with Nate, wondering what they should expect and what subjects to avoid. It didn't seem fair that I had somewhat of an advantage over them, having this personal relationship with Nate. It was unavoidable but I had to hide it.

"Is he as nice as he is to everyone? Or is he one of those guys who pretends to be nice but alone he's really mean?" Bessa put both elbows on my desk and rested her chin on her fists, her curls bouncing with life.

"Was the dinner really on him? Because yesterday my manager made me get him a cup of coffee and I had to pay for it," Tony asked hovering above me.

Chelsea smirked at this. "Maybe our manager sees you more like his bitch than his intern."

Kevin choked on his laughter before saying. "Tony's everyone's bitch."

"Shut up," Tony punched Kevin's arm which made him laugh even harder.

"That was mean Kevin!" Bessa pouted at him.

Kevin rubbed Bessa's shoulder. "Bess, he's my cousin, I was practically born with the right to screw around with him."

"No wonder you're both just as annoying as the other. You're related," Chelsea shook her head at them.