Chapter Twenty-Two

It's the night before my wedding, and I know I should be in a bit more of a panic, but I'm not. Nicole is so beautiful and I know she's my epic love, but why do I feel like it's any other day tomorrow? The past few days have been a blur. My bachelor party was over the top. Paul, my best man, threw a huge party with drinks and girls everywhere. All the guys from the cast were there, and all my old buddies. Nicole told me her bachelorette party was fun too, although she couldn't drink. Her maid of honor, Mia, had a classy party. It seemed very nice, definitely Nicole's style. Even if she wasn't pregnant I doubt she'd have a big blow out like I did.
Paul and I are going out to dinner tonight with Kat and Candice. We have to talk about the next season and other work related things.
Since we're all at the hotel near the country club, Paul and I are sharing a room tonight.
"Ready to go?"
"Sure, are we picking up the girls?"
"I think they're meeting us there."
"Okay," I respond as we head out. When we arrive, Kat and Candice are already there.
"Hey guys," Kat says.
"Ladies," I reply. We're seated near the bar, and order a few drinks.
"So Ian, are you feeling nervous yet?" Candice asks.
"No, is that bad?"
"Of course not. Everyone feels different things on their wedding day. Joe was a wreck on our wedding day. He put his shoes on the wrong feet until someone pointed it out as he walked into position."
"Either way no one will pay attention to you, you're just the groom," Kat adds.
"Just the groom?"
"Well yeah you're important, but the day is all about the bride."
"I'm fine with that. Nicole should always be the most important thing."
"Awe," the girls giggle.
"Yeah, yeah. Anyways let's talk about something else," Paul huffs.
"Geeze Paul," Kat says.
"What?"
"Nothing, just don't be a dick. Tomorrow is your best friend's wedding."
"Whatever. So who's ready to order?" We move past Paul's attitude and the night is less tense and long. Paul and I stumble back to our room at two thirty in the morning, barely able to walk in a straight line. We talk all night in our beds like two kids at a sleepover.
"So you love her huh?" Paul asks.
"I really do."
"Well as long as you're happy."
"Thanks Paul."
"Ian?"
"Yeah bud?"
"I have to tell you something."
"What is it?"
"I'm leaving after a few episodes of the vampire diaries."
"What? You're kidding right?"
"I... I can't stay here."
"Why not?"
"I can't watch you be happy with someone else."
"What does that mean?"
"You never wondered why I broke up with Phoebe? It was because of you Ian. I think I love you."
"You mean you love me as in you love a friend or you love pizza?"
"Ian..."
"Paul you can't love me, you're my best friend. You're supposed to be my best man tomorrow."
"You don't think I know that Ian? I'm so hopelessly in love with you. And because I love you I can't watch you be happily married with another person."
"Paul..."
"God, I thought I could do this."
"Do what?"
"I can't be your best man tomorrow."
"Paul..."
"Sorry Ian, I have to go."
"Paul..."
"I'll send for my things. Ian, have a happy life and good luck tomorrow." He exited out the room.
"Paul..."

~Read Chapter 23 for more~