Chapter Twenty-Four - Birthday Boy

Start from the beginning

        "That's what I said." He says dryly, looking over at me amusement.

        "Oh. My mom's gonna kill me." That's true. My mom's a professor herself, so she happens to have a bit more respect for school rules.

        "No she won't. I asked her if I could do this beforehand."

        "Just when did you get so buddy-buddy with my mother?" I ask bemusedly. They seem to be in agreement about everything nowadays. The diagrams, Oberon, and now this. I feel a bit usurped. 

       "We talk sometimes." Theo shrugs as he drives around a slow car. He has no patience for people who drive at normal speeds. "If your next question is a query about where we're going, I'm not going to tell you."

        "Damnit. Come on, Theo. Please?"

       "No."

       "A hint. Just give me a hint."

       "No."

Theo keeps his lips tightly shut the entire hour and a half drive, so we talk about everything and anything, from Jesse and Kyle's odd dynamics to how Obie's coming with his obedience training (Theo paid for lessons--we go every other afternoon. The pup's incredibly smart, but a ball of energy.)

     The familiar setting of my city began to fade as we drove, and I spotted a few horses and cows. I pointed out these, making Theo laugh as he chewed his gum.

     After another fifteen minutes we hit city streets. It isn't a place that I reconize, so I look out my window, watching small shops and tourists fly past.

     Theo makes a few more expert turns and then we're pulling up to a restaurant called Isabella's. The parking lot's kind of packed, but Theo manuvers the car into a space in between a pick up truck and a smart car.

     I can't tell from the outside, but it seems like a pretty ritzy/casual place. Either way, the old pair of jeans and t-shirt that I'm wearing isn't going to cut it, especially with Theo looking like he belongs in the newest edition of Teen Vogue.

     Before I can voice my thoughts, Theo's already reaching back to grab a duffel bag that I hadn't noticed before.

     It has Jesse written all over it. I groan, hoping against all hopes that he hasn't just put a g-string and some whipped cream in there.

     To my surprise, the first thing that I pull out is a plain, sky blue cashmere (I think) sweater. It's soft and feels good on my skin.

     I peel off my shirt, concious of Theo's gaze, before sliding it on over my head. The soft fabric settles around my body like a blanket, and I make a mental note to thank Jesse later.

     Or maybe not, I think as I pull out the leather pants that he bought me for Christmas. They're perfectly straight, sitting innocently on my lap. I really don't see how I manuvered them on (nearly kicking Theo in the eye in the process, but it happens. Thank god for tinted windows.

     The shoes are the same ones that I wore at Theo's house when I first met his dad. I slid those on, make sure that my hair isn't too wild and look over at Theo. "Well?"

     He smiles, that crooked one that makes my heart go all weird, and softly gives me a kiss. "Perfect."

     That's my first hint that today isn't an ordinary day out.

We ate the best barbeque that I've ever tasted, drank sodas, laughed at the waitress's blantent attempts at flirting (which ended when Theo buttered a roll and hand fed it to me.) We paid, then left, laughing at the look on her face.