Chapter Twenty-Four - Birthday Boy

Puck Cainly

On January 13th, my birthday rolls around.

     I'm actually kind of surprised to see my mom making my favorites for breakfast and Benny presenting me with a messily wrapped package. And then I remember:

     Oh. I'm seventeen.

     And then, despite the fact that Jesse comes through the door blowing through one of those annoying loud party favors and wearing bright purple and yellow, I get kind of depressed. Even the picture of Obie, Theo and me from Benny can't get rid of the reality.

     I'm a seventeen year old man-virgin.

     It's not like I didn't want to do it. Hell, about a week ago I was roaring to do it. Theo's house was empty and the chances of being interrupted were slim to none. I'd even resigned myself to being the bottom. At least the first time.

     And then Theo stopped, of all things, and said that it wasn't the right time yet.

     HOW COULD IT NOT BE THE RIGHT TIME!?!

     And what was worse: Jesse can just look and tell. I have no idea how he does it, but I hate it.

     I eat my breakfast without really tasting it and make sure that I have everything for class ready, feed Obie and give him the obligatory belly rub, then bundle up. Go outside with Jesse when Theo honks the horn. Reluctantly say goodbye to my parents and, as slowly as possible, walk out to the car and get in, despite it being freezing.

     Jesse's already in the car, warm and toasty by the time I get in the front seat. Oddly enough, Theo doesn't seem to be mad by the fact that I might've just made us late with my stalling.

     I had definitely been stalling. Actually, I'm sort of avoiding speaking to Theo too.

     Because a thought had occurred to me, after Theo flat out refused to deflower my ass:

     What if the problem wasn't the right time, as he liked to call it? What if the problem was me?  I mean, I know I'm all right looking, but I'm not exactly TDH. No matter how much of a douche he is, he was still gorgeous.

     What if he wants to break up? I can't even think about it without going pale all over. I know this because once, I was thinking about it and Jesse looked at me in his weirdly concerned way and said, "Pucky? Are you okay? You look all pale." 

     I barely notice when Rebecca and Caleb slide in, the former complaining about the weather. Or when we pull up at school. Or the glances that my friends keep shooting me.

     I do notice, however, when everyone gets out but me and Theo. Before I can unlock my door their doors are shut and they're waving as Theo speeds away from the curb.

        "Dude! What are you doing?! We have to go to school!"

     He looks at me like I'm the insane one. "It's called skipping," he says slowly, as if speaking to a child. Maybe that's why he won't sleep with me. Because he turns eighteen in April. Then again, Jesse and Kyle have a four year age difference and it doesn't put a dent of any sort in their relationship.

      God. When did I start using words like relationship?

      I shudder a bit, then perk up. "We're skipping?"