Chapter 1 Fire

Author’s Note: I know that I have a lot of fragments in this chapter, I did that on purpose.

We were somewhere on the highway heading towards San Francisco when I thought I heard a noise. This should have been impossible because of how loud The Gift of Ghost was screaming in my ears. I pulled out one of my headphones,

“Did I just hear a noise?” I asked.

“What was that honey?” my mother asked. She had no clue that I thought I heard a terrifying sound.

“I thought I hear something,” I reiterated while looking into her bright brown eyes, unlike mine. My eyes appeared to be hazel, but I knew what they really were. Yellow. I hated them. Two orbs of what most people thought was a mix of gold and brown. No, they were clearly yellow, and I was the only person who thought that. Most people said I was crazy for describing my hair and eyes in the way I do.

Most people said my hair fell in long wisps of ginger. They were either lying or they were blind. My hair was as red as a fire truck. The worst part was, that it seemed as if my hair was alive, it moved on its own even where there was no wind and it grows. Fast.

“Oh, I’m sure that’s nothing sweetie, go back to your book,” she responded while looking straight ahead into the setting sun again.

Then, I heard the sound once more. It was horrible and I could clearly tell that my parents were oblivious to it. That somehow, I was the only one who had any clue to that there was a frightening noise. It felt loud. The sound was extremely quiet, seeming as small and insignificant as a whisper. However, to me it was chaos. It was a wretched noise. The sound was as horrible as the scream when a killer slashes a knife through someone’s throat. It was that horrible, bloodcurdling scream you always here in horror movies.

The worst part was that it did not stop. It kept going and going. I felt as if I would never be free of it. That it would haunt my soul for eternity.

It kept going for half of the drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Then, it stopped. It actually scared me, which it should. I thought the moment the whisper ended would be my downfall. In a way, it was.

Then it happened. At first I felt a tiny, unimportant bump, but that was only the start of what was about to come. Not even a minute later, there was another bump. The bumps continued and became more frequent.

Somehow, I saw a minuscule flame erupt in the engine without the hood even being open. I assumed I was hallucinating. My parents did not even glance away from the road, they continuing to talk about an irrelevant topic.

I felt the flame grow bigger, into a massive fire that it had the potential to become. It would become a deadly weapon, which consumes everything in its path. I heard the crackling as the flame consumed all the oxygen in the front of the car and grew so large that it consumed the whole engine.

It broke through the hood first, and made the gray paint look like ash. A sprout of inferno shot out of the vehicle into the sky distracted my parents and other drivers in a gaze of wonder at this creation of death.

There was no time for escape, it quickly made it way to the window and started burning it, leaving sand in its trail. At the same time, the engine decided that it was going to explode as well and take out the whole front half of the car, and burned my parents in the process.

I was now freaking out. My parents were dying! They would be gone soon. Soon I would be next. I started to scream, not caring if anyone heard me. I just wanted to let out the anger, frustration, grief that was building inside of me.

The flames grew and continued to devourer the car, and destroyed my parents, only leaving embers of them behind.

I never thought my life would end this soon. I was only 16 and I just saw my parents die.

The flames kept coming for me with the intent to attack me, and kill me.

Then suddenly, it stopped. The flames surrounded me, but they did not come any closer. There was an invisible barrier protecting me from the fire. It attached the other half of the back seat, seeming mad because it could not touch me. Soon, the first half of the car was gone, and producing a pile of ashes. I began to lean forward, because the wheels are nonexistent. The flames grew, surrounding me. This made me feel trapped, isolated, and alone.

The heat was unbearable. It was too hot; it felt like it was over 200 degrees.

I was dying. The heat was searing my skin. It burned my flesh and continuing on to my bones.

It felt horrible, worse than being sunburned. Worse, than getting your skin peeled off.

It was coming closer. I was sure that it would break through the invisible force field that magically appeared in from of me. It came closer and closer, until it was less than a millimeter away from me.

Then, it stopped and seared my flesh. Somehow, a miracle happened. It moved backwards, and away from me, as if it was scared. Of me, and what I could do to it.

Just as it was streaming away from me, I thought I saw it get hotter. It suddenly appeared to turn a blue-white. As I started to pass out, I was sure that the inferno was collapsing on itself.