twenty three.

O, Jasper. Clarke, Bellamy and Avery were in the rover driving. Bellamy had taken Avery's place in the driver's side because she nearly crashed into a tree due to her being tired.

"It's been an hour since we passed the airplane wreckage. Seeing as we're using a map without any distances it could be days before we reach the village." Jasper told them.

"Yes, we know but we're going in the right direction." Bellamy replied.

"We're running out of daylight, we should stop for the sun to recharge the battery."

"We keep going until it dies." Avery replied, "We keep going until we get to Luna."

Bellamy stopped the rover, making Avery adjust herself in her seat as he turned tp talk to them behind. "We'll backtrack, somewhere where the trees aren't so bad."

"Guess we're going on foot." Avery told them, getting out of the rover.

"Anyone hear the part where I said it could be days?"

"Shut up Jasper." Avery shouted as she heard something. "You hear that?"

"Water." Clarke confermed.

"Eyes sharp, they could be hostile." Bellamy warned.

"They're not hostile, put the guns down." Avery made her way down the hill to the edge of the forest were she saw water.

"Where's the village?" Jasper asked, looking towards the landmarks. Octavia flicked through the journal and she spotted the drawing, which was the exact same to the landmark.

"Oh no. Oh no, it can't be." Octavia panicked.

"So that village is just a bunch of rocks."

Avery clenched her jaw, as Octavia walked to the edge of the coast letting out a scream. Avery approached Octavia, hugging her. "Its okay. It's okay."

***

Avery was sat in a Earth Skills class she was forced to attend. Pike was showing tgem how to make a fire, nothing some of them hadn't learnt before.

"The ability to make fire kept the human race alive during the Ice Age." he rubbed two sticks together until smoke started to come from them. "Who knows it may do the same for us someday."

He blew on the spark, making it ignite into a full fire. "Voila, the different between life and death."

Murphy started clapping sarcastically. "Thank you, Mr. Murphy. Perhaps you'd like to tell us the key to surviving on the ground."

"Not really, no." Murphy replied.

"Ms. Donavon. How about you? The key to survival on Earth, what is it?"

Avery smiled and confidently said. "Not dying." The rest of the kids laughed while Avery smiled to Pike.

"You can laugh all you want but we've got a lot to learn here. Making fire, tying knots, how to navigate using the stars, how to hunt. You have to learn which plants you can eat and which-"

"Which ones you can smoke?" Jasper asked, making Avery crack a genuine smile.

"Mr. Jordan that is precisely why we had to separate you and Mr. Green." he sat on top of the table that was in front of him. "Listen, the answer to my question, the key to surviving on the ground and the Ark is to keep fighting. At all costs, against all odds. The minute you give up you're dead. Am I boring you, Mr. Murphy, Ms. Donavon?"

"Don't worry, I'll survive."

***

Octavia blew on the spark she had just created, spreding the fire out tp the firewood they had collected. "It will be dark soon. We need to talk about what we're gonna do." Clarke asked.