eight

They stopped at a metal door that Maya unlocked.

"Dad, you're home." She said to a figure lying on the couch. He sat up when he heard his daughters voice. Bellamy put Avery no to the found, not letting his grip on her waist loosen.

"Yeah yeah, the drill bit broke again." He then noticed Fox, Bellamy and Avery. "What are they doing here?"

"They're in trouble they just need some place safe to stay."

"They need to go now." Maya's dad ordered. "Now."

"Let me explain."

"I'll let you explain where you got that uniform. Maya, you know how dangerous this is, what are you doing?"

"What mom would have done." Maya said, silencing her dad. He then tried to talk to Bellamy.

"I need you to leave."

"Sorry, we can't do that." Bellamy replied, the man looked hurt at the way Bellamy spoke to him. But none of that mattered.

"It's ok, he's gonna help us."

"Really, cause I'm not getting that. Maybe this isn't the best choice Maya." Avery spoke. "He's like Kane." She muttered to Bellamy.

"My parents were part of a movement that was against using outsider blood. My mom refused the treatments and it killed her. She was willing to die for what she believed." She told the three, her dad looked to his feet.

"Maya you were 5, I couldn't leave you alone."

"I'm not a litte girl anymore."

"They're willing to kill you to get them. If you get caught-" 

"We won't if you help us."

"They've already drilled into me, the hell if I'm letting them do that to me again. They're killing us Sir, We have nowhere else to go." Avery spoke. He looked her up and down and noticed a patch of blood near her hip. "Please, I'm begging you."

"Just this once, just for one night."

"Here, just this way and I'll patch you up Avery."

"Thank you." Bellamy said while he carried her towards a chair.

"You know they'll never stop right? If the rumors are true and your bone marrow can get us back to the ground they'll never stop. They'll nod the same thing that they do to her but until she dies."

Maya brought out a med kid. When she opened it, she brought out a needle and bandages. She put the needle into Avery's skin and she flinched upwards. "Not a fan?"

"Not exactly." Maya put alcohol on a piece of tissue and started to dab it onto the wound. "Why are you helping us Maya?"

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Jasper." She told her as she bandaged the wound. "Its going to take a few weeks to heal but it'll be as good as new."

"With a big ass scar." She muttered.

Once she had finished up, Avery made her way towards Bellamy. "Hey Stranger, How you doing?"

"You shouldn't have come."

"You know me, I can't resist running into gunfire."

"You could've been seriously hurt."

"So would you, you didn't care."

He sat down with his head in his hands. "I feel like I have to protect you."

"I don't need protecting, maybe a little help, a few bullets, maybe a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire but nothing else. I don't need Protecting." She said as she sat down next to him.