Promises

The Monday after the fiasco at the prom, Maggie kept her word and visited the principal. We all stood, watching from a distance, then we saw two boys entered the office and the door closing behind him. I looked at Ryan, and he shrugged. After a few minutes, she emerged, walking towards us.

"Well," asked Ryan.

"I explained Alex was an innocent victim, that some mean boys played a prank on her. The boys that are leaving," she turned, pointing to two boys being escorted out by their parents, "spiked the punch. Not only did they get expelled for their stupid stunt, but Alex is in the clear."

She smiled and walked away as Ryan yelled, "What happened with the principal?"

She turned, looking, "If he knows what's in his best interest and would like to keep his job, you all are off-limits from now on," she winked as she continued walking away.

We looked at each other and shrugged. Finals were coming up quickly, and so was Graduation. In a few weeks, we would finally be free and starting our recent adventure.

Ryan and I were standing at his locker while he was grabbing a book. "You know your birthday is in a few days."

"Yeah, you need not remind me," I sighed, not wanting to think about my birthday.

"Don't you want to celebrate your birthday?" He questioned me.

"It's not that. I don't want an enormous deal, you know? I want something quiet," I said to him.

"You don't want to risk getting drunk again?" He asked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and slugged him in the shoulder. "That's not funny. Those jerks ruined my prom since I was mostly unconscious during it."

"How about I make it up to you on your birthday?" He suggested. I gave him a curious look. "Just you and I," he added.

"Okay," I relented.

He kissed me.

On my birthday, I awoke to see eighteen red roses at the foot of my bed with a note.

My dearest Alex,

That is just part of your birthday gift. There is an outfit hanging in your closet. Please put it on in a few hours and meet me at this address. In a few minutes, you'll hear a knock at the door with some treats.

Happy birthday, Baby,

Ryan

Then the knocks came. I opened it to see Jordan and Frazier holding a box of treats along with an iced caramel latte.

"Happy birthday," they both yelled.

They came in, setting the box down on my bed, plopping down, and I joined them.

"Ryan put you two up to this, didn't he?" I asked them as I took a bite out of a donut.

"Yes, yes, he did," Frazier grinned.

"He also wanted us to have the chance to wish you a happy birthday," Jordan said.

"Thank you both," I said, giving them both a kiss on the cheek. They blushed.

We sat around, munching on the sweet treats. My mom and dad came in singing Happy Birthday, giving me my gifts. Elena and Marissa treated me to a manicure and pedicure.

After the day I had, it was time to get ready to meet Ryan. After I dressed, I came out of the house to find a car waiting for me. I climbed in and gave the driver the address. He drove me to the beach.

I got out and saw him standing there looking at the water. I walked over to him. "Ryan?"

He turned and walked over to me. "Happy birthday, my love." He leaned over, giving me a soft kiss.

"Thank you," I said to him.

"Before we have dinner, there's something I want to show you," he said, leading me to another spot. There were candles in the shape of a heart. He led me to the center. I stood there as I watched him get down on one knee.

"What are you doing?" My eyes widened.

He pulled out a black velvet box and opened it. I stood there, shocked.

"Alex, I love you with my heart and soul. You are my everything and my world. It is my solemn promise to love and protect you. Will you please accept this promise ring that you say yes to being my wife?" Ryan asked me as he was on bended knee.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Thank God he didn't propose; I thought I would pass out. Plus, I wasn't ready for that step.

"Yes, Ryan, I accept your promise ring," I said as I smiled at him.

He put the ring on my finger and kissed me, spinning me around. Then I heard people screaming and clapping. He set me down, and standing behind us were our friends and family.

"I thought we were having a quiet night?" I asked him as I looked at everyone.

"And leave everyone out of celebrating your special day? It wouldn't be right," he told me.

I smiled. We all ate, had cake, and danced for the rest of the evening. People brought gifts, which I promptly opened. Eventually, everyone left, leaving us alone. We danced, then took a walk along the beach. I let the sand flow through my toes, feeling the grittiness under my feet. I always loved the way it made me think.

We sat down, looking at the moon glowing on the water. The light glistened off my ring. He intertwined his fingers with mine, and I laid my head on his shoulder, giving me a soft kiss.

"Today was the best birthday ever," I reminisced.

"I'm glad," he said to me.

"Thank you for everything," I said.

"Thank you for coming into my life. Who would have thought we would be here together?" He asked, knowing what he meant.

I chuckled. "It's not me."

I laid down on my back, and he leaned over, kissing me.

"I love you, Alex."

"I love you, too, Ryan."

I lay there, and he stood up. I sat up, confused. The next thing I knew, he started taking off his clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, really confused.

"I'm going swimming. Are you coming?" He asked me as he turned and glanced at me.

"But we don't have swimsuits," I pointed out.

"Who says we need swimsuits?" He asked as he walked towards the water. I watched him stripped down to his boxer briefs before finally removing them. He dove into the water. His head bobbed up after two minutes.

"Come on, Alex! Live a little!" He yelled from the water.

I stood up and shrugged. If you can't beat the person, then join them. I stripped off my clothes and dove into the water. We played around for a while.

My eighteenth birthday not only comprised getting a promise ring but also skinny dipping. I swear that boy wants an excuse to see me naked.

We finally came out of the water, putting our clothes on and heading to Ryan's. In all our fun, I learned a valuable lesson. Don't go swimming when it's not hot out. I ended up with a minor cold.

Since it was his idea, he made a fire and brought me hot tea, taking care of me.

My cold lasted a few days, and Ryan played a nurse, giving me medicine and chicken noodle soup. I fought him on the medication. He even sat on me, holding my arms down and shoving a spoon into my mouth.

I wrinkled my nose at the taste. It was nasty. That's the last time I throw caution to the wind and listen to my boyfriend; lesson learned.