Complications

The weather turned cold, and the leaves were changing. We were getting ready for midterms with all of us camped out at the library or at someone's house studying.

I had no run-ins with Ashley or her brother, which was a relief. I helped the guy's study for their midterms so they could pass.

I remember today feeling extra chilly and thinking I should have worn a warmer jacket. Ryan, Frazier, and I were on our way to the library when the English teacher talked to Ryan about his paper. He told us he would catch up with us and to go ahead.

As we walked, Frazier forgot he left something in his locker and told me to go to the library. I was walking towards the library when I felt someone put their hand over my mouth, picking me up and dragging me out of the school.

I tried to kick and scream, but they tightened their grip on me. Mario and his goons took me out back and threw me down like a rag doll. I heard yelling, trying to get to my feet, when two guys grabbed my arms and yanked me up, holding me still. I looked up to see Mario walking towards me.

He was standing in front of me and said, "Look, what we have here. It looks like someone doesn't have their bodyguards to protect them."

"Get off of me!" I screamed as I struggled to get away from them.

"No, I don't think so. Your little boyfriend and friends have been a thorn in my side for way too long. So, I figure, why not send them a message? I warned them I would destroy what they love. Now, I get the chance," he smirked.

"Fuck you!" I screamed as he shrugged and let it rip. I felt his fist connect with my face, hitting me right in the nose. Blood started pouring out. The guys holding me yanked my head up, and another blow came, connecting with my eye. Blow after blow until I fell onto the ground, he hauled off and gave me two swift kicks to my stomach.

I laid there a bloody mess. Mario knelt and pulled my head up by my hair. "That was for my sister, and the rest of it was for them. You give them a message from me. I'm waiting," he warned me. He dropped my head, and they walked away. I looked to see them leaving; then, I closed my eyes, passing out.

Frazier came into the library to find the girls and Jordan at a table studying. He sat down and cracked open a book.

"Where's Ryan and Alex?" Jordan asked him.

"Ryan had to talk to his English teacher, and Alex was to come here. Where is she?" He asked Jordan.

"I don't know she never showed," Jordan answered.

They all looked at each other and got up. The guys ran up to Ryan as he was finishing up with his teacher. He came out to find them out of breath. "What did you guys do, run a marathon?" He asked them.

"Is Alex with you?" Frazier asked.

"Why would she be with me when you both went to the library?" He inquired.

"I had to get a book from my locker. I told Alex to go ahead, and I would meet up with her. When I got there, she wasn't there, so I figured she came back to meet you," Frazier told him.

"No, she didn't," Ryan said.

They all looked at each other and got a sickening feeling. The guys started searching for me, leaving the building to look outside. Ryan spotted me lying on the ground running towards me, with the others hot on his heels. He cradled my body when he picked me up, bridal style, carrying me to the car. My arm hung to the side, and my head laid against his chest.

I couldn't open my eyes and heard a lot of muffled shouting. I don't know what happened after that; all I did was drift out of consciousness.

Ryan was pacing back and forth in the hospital hallway while the doctors cared for me. My parents waited to hear a word about me.