Calm before the storm

We returned to school, and things were getting weirder by the moment. Everything lost me in thought that had been going on.

Since I met the guys, they had turned my life upside down. Most of it was good, but some not so great. I couldn't place my finger on it, but moving to Saintwood and meeting the guys didn't seem like a coincidence.

Here I was, a girl with a high IQ with an extraordinary memory and no friends. Dad was out of a job on the verge of us becoming homeless when out of the blue, things changed. Dad got a job, we moved, and I made friends quickly. Was it always planned this way, and I missed it?

I needed answers. Ryan was grabbing his books out of his locker when I ran up, grabbed his hand, dragged him behind me. He dropped his books onto the floor.

"Alex? What's going on?" Ryan asked me.

I dragged him into a janitor's closet and closed the door. I pulled on a chain, turning on the light. He looked at me, confused.

I paced back and forth, getting my thoughts together. After mulling it over, I turned to Ryan. "How long did you know about me?"

"What?" He asked me.

"How long?" I asked again.

He looked at me as I mumbled to myself. Then I turned to him. "You knew who I was before I even came here. There was no coincidence we met. Do you even love me, or is that part of the plan? Answer me!" I demanded.

He ran his hand through his hair, sighing, then sitting down. "Yes, I knew about you before you came here. My dad had told me about a package arriving, and we had to retrieve it. We didn't have details, but I had found a file with your picture, but with no name attached to it. I was to protect you. Falling for you was not part of his plan," he explained.

He looked up at me, and I could see in his eyes he felt lousy. I let out a breath and sat down. He took a seat next to me.

"I don't understand. Your mom told me about what my dad did. It still makes no sense to me, but how do I fit into this?" I asked him curiously.

"It's a lengthy story, but the short version is my parents gave him a job in one of their companies so they could get you here. I know it was shitty how they went about it, but there was more to it than they told me," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked him, feeling confused.

"Why hire a guy that was stealing from you unless there was more to the story than some simple hacking program his ten-year-old daughter created?" Ryan asked, knowing I didn't believe the bull they were trying to sell us.

"Do you think they set my dad up?" I asked him.

"It's possible," he replied.

"I don't understand. My dad has a gambling addiction, but the hacking part makes little sense?" I shook my head in disbelief.

"Unless it's a cover story," he shrugged.

I sat there thinking about it; then I switch gears. "Did you fall in love with me?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because the heart wants what the heart wants," he responded. He leaned back on his elbows, looking ahead. I thought about it.

"I guess so," I added.

"So, does that change the way you feel about me? If you wanted to end things, I would understand. I wasn't honest at first," Ryan admitted.

I looked straight ahead. "Were you being honest about the way you felt about me and everything you said about your feelings about me?" It was a simple question that would be the deciding factor.