Friends

After introducing myself and talking to the guys, I went home. I didn't know much about those guys, but they seemed nice. It didn't hurt to know someone at school; then maybe school would be bearable.

I walk into the kitchen, slinging my book bag on a kitchen chair and plopping down on a stool at the breakfast nook. Mom is busy making dinner, crooning a song softly to herself.

"I'm home," I said to her back. She almost dropped the pot of potatoes she's prepping for dinner. She stopped and turned to see me sitting there with a slight grin on my face.

"Before you ask, my first day was okay. I know where everything is, and the work seems easy. It wasn't too bad," I said, still smiling.

Her mouth dropped open.

"I'll read for a while. Call me when dinner is ready," I said as I got up and went to my room before briefly turning my head and saying, "I made three friends." With those parting words, I disappeared upstairs.

Dad walked into the kitchen and gave Mom a peck on the cheek, checking out what she's making for dinner. She still had a shocked look on her face.

"Honey, dinner can't be that bad," he said with a chuckle.

She turned and looked at him and said, "Alex talked to me in complete sentences, along with a smile. She had an enjoyable day and made friends."

Dad almost choked on his food.

"She made friends!" Mom exclaimed excitedly.

The guys went over to Ryan's house and hung out. Ryan's parents were never home since they always worked all the time.

Jordan's dad would always bombard him with questions about joining a sport that Jordan avoided like the plague. His dad tried to relive his glory days through Jordan. He hated dealing with his dad and usually crashed at Ryan's.

Frazier became tired of dealing with his dad's drinking and yelling at his mom. He tried to get his mom to leave, but she would tell him everything was okay. Frazier noticed the bruises, which she would try to cover up. He hoped one day she would come to her senses and leave. The operative word is hope.

They hung out at Ryan's house away from the craziness of their everyday existence.

"I can't believe she talked to us," said Jordan wistfully.

"Well, we made a game of it in Biology that I would get her to talk to us," Frazier added with a grin.

Ryan looked at him with an arched eyebrow. "So, is that why you were speechless when she introduced herself?"

"I was trying to come up with a clever comeback."

"Sure you were," Jordan said with an eye roll. Frazier threw a pillow at him.

"I can't believe how beautiful her voice is. Some girls have a high-pitched, squeaky voice that drives you nuts," Ryan commented to them.

"Like nails on a chalkboard," Frazier said, making an annoying high-pitched noise. Jordan jumped on him, trying to get him to stop, then eventually slugged him in the arm and sat next to him.

Ryan looked at both of them with their hair messy and asked, "Are you done with your make-out session?"

"Yes," both said.

"Good, can we get back to the topic at hand?" He asked with a slight annoyance.

They nodded their head at the same time.

"How do we befriend this girl without scaring her off?" He questioned them.

They sat there, rubbing the side of their heads. They all knew with their reputation that they didn't want to ruin the chance of scaring me. Since I'm new and knew nothing about them, it gave them a chance to become friends with someone other than the three of them.

While rooted in thought, they didn't hear someone walk into the room but almost jumped at the sound of their voice, "If you want to become friends with this girl, might I suggest you not act like your idiotic selves."

They turn to see her walk into the room and sit on the arm of the couch, grinning. She relished the look on their faces because she knew they knew she's right.

"So, what do you suggest?" Ryan questioned her.

"If it's who I think it is, you boys have your work cut out for you. From the looks of it, she's one tough nut to crack," she told them.

"Well," Jordan asked.

"Oh no, you boys are on your own. I am not an accomplice to your shenanigans. Every time I do, it ends badly, and I don't want to spend another night in jail."

"That was one time," whined Frazier.

She looked at them with a raised eyebrow. "One? Try one dozen times."

"Okay, maybe more than once, but it was fun," he said with a grin.

She stood up and smacked him upside the back of the head. "And you all wonder why people steer clear of you. You're idiots!" She stormed out of the room.

"Enormous help you were," Jordan mentioned, shooting a glare at Frazier, who just shrugged.

"Guys, we don't need her help, but I have an idea."

"It won't land us in jail again because I don't want to become better friends with Bubba. Last time was a nightmare," Frazier groaned.

"Wait. What? No, you idiot," Ryan told Frazier.

"Frazier, you're an idiot!" Jordan exclaimed.

"Jordan, it takes one to know one," he said, sticking his tongue out.

Jordan tackled him again, getting him in a headlock. Ryan just sighed. These ladies and gents are his two best friends, who are both idiots. After watching them try to thwart the other, he finally got up, knocking their heads together and getting them to listen.

"Now that you both aren't acting like lunatics, this is what we do," he told them.

With those words, they planned to make the new girl become theirs. I didn't know what was in store for me the minute I introduced myself to them, but it would be one hell of a ride.