Eleven

(___)= Name

*

My hand trembled as I reached for Mark. I flipped his body over, small pieces of glass piercing the skin on his face. Not again. Please, not again.

"Is he...." Ethan stopped, not wanting to finish the question.

Amy crawled over, ignoring the pieces of glass that stabbed into her hands. Her eyes were full of tears that looked like they were about to overflow. "Oh god, Mark."

Chica made her way over to her owner, Tyler pulling her back. "No, Chica. You'll hurt your paws."

I shook Mark, glancing at Amy when he didn't move. Amy's face drained of color, her standing up. She walked through the, now nonexistent, door angrily. Amy jerked her head in search of whoever was responsible for the windows breaking.

Someone emerged from the store across the street, their hands raised. They got closer and I could tell it was a man.

"Is everyone okay?" He asked, his voice traveling through the open walls. "I thought you were creepers."

"Creepers?" Tyler asked with narrowed eyes.

"Undead, roamers, biters, whatever the hell you wanna call them." Amy's brown eyes followed the man as he walked past her. He stopped in front of us, noticing Mark's body. "Did I do that?"

"What do you think?" Amy demanded, walking up behind him.

"Guessing from your tone, it's a yes." The man looked to me, to Ethan, to Tyler, then to Chica.

Ethan walked forward, pushing me behind him. "What were you even doing here?"

The man blinked his brown eyes once. "Probably the same thing you were doing, looking around. I have to protect my people-"

"Your people?" I questioned with an unamused expression.

"Yes, my people. I'm sorry about your friend there," he signalled to Mark "but I can help. We've got a hospital, running water, a cafeteria."

As he spoke, I focused on his accent. He was clearly British. Not gonna lie, it was kind of hot.

"You seriously expect us to trust you?" Tyler shoved the man backwards, him falling over a table of phones on display. "You probably killed one of our friends and you just think we'll come with you?"

The man rubbed his side "You don't have to come, but if you want to save your friend...it would be the smartest thing to do."

We all exchanged looks. He was right, we all knew it. It wasn't the best idea to just trust anyone, but we had to help Mark.

"Okay." I agreed quietly.

Tyler and Ethan went over to Mark's body, putting his arms around their shoulders to hold him up. I stared for a moment, seeing some blood dripping onto Tyler's shirt. I quickly averted my eyes from the sight.

All of us followed the man, me at Amy's side. She looked nervous, staring at the ground.

"Mark will be okay. We'll get him fixed up."

"We don't even know if he's alive." Amy whispered.

She looked up at me with teary eyes. I nodded sadly, knowing she was right. "Mark doesn't deserve to die, he needs to be here for you...and Chica too. He'll make it, don't worry."

"So, uh," Ethan muttered, adjusting Mark on his arm. "Where exactly are we going?"

"We call our location Rotunda." The man responded.