Chapter 36

Harry...

I wanted it to be Taylor.

I know it's pretty shitty of me to hope for it, but at least I'm being honest even if only to my thoughts.

I wanted it to be Taylor, or at least anybody significant enough to change or influence the flow of the game.

Selena was quicker to move as she put some distance between us, where we now stood facing Nina. By the nonplussed expression she sported though, we could tell Selena's attempt of secrecy was futile.

Her frantic eyes danced between me and Selena, mouth opening and closing.

"Nina, I-I can explain"

Selena's voice snaps her out of her stupor, giving us the short straw of an incredulous glance, her next movements both confusing and startling us. Turning around she reached for the door, shutting it firmly before facing us with a newfound stern countenance and a matching tone. "Cara's coming"

My brows drew together for a second before I finally grasped it. It was a warning.

Risking a glance at Selena, I find her orbs already fastened to me, her panic as clear as day. I widen my eyes, hoping it would be enough to send a message of calming her down. That was the only interaction that passed between us, as the door opened a second time.

"Nina, why'd you close the door? You knew I was just right be-" her voice trailing off as she finally spotted us "-hind you"

Just like Nina, her eyes took the both of us in. A reasonable space was now dividing us, but apart from that everything else probably spelled suspicion and by the look on her face I could tell she was grasping it all, detail by detail - my hair, that I could feel is now in a haphazard mess, our stiff postures and of course Selena's red rimmed eyes.

Cara must have noticed this too as she took a lot longer assessing Selena's state. My hand twitched by my side, yearning to reach out to comfort my girl, given the scenario though, it was obviously a foolish attempt.

"Did you cry? What happened?"

I don't know if it's just a figment of my imagination, but to me it sounded like there was contempt in her tone.

"I-I..just a small disagreement with my mom. I spoke to her on the phone a while ago."

Cara frowned, giving her a look "Doesn't look small to me. But what are you doing here anyway?"

"She needed some air, I brought her here." I answered in a firm tone before Selena could open her mouth. I respected her independence and her value for friendship, knowing she might prefer to deal with Cara on her own. But I needed her to know I'll be with her through it all. I just hope I haven't overstepped somehow.

Three pairs of eyes turn towards me, one curious, another edgy and the one holding the biggest impact on me - anxious.

"O-kay" she replied, head snapping back quickly to Selena. "I'm your best friend, you could have asked me. I would've accompanied you."

If it wasn't so inappropriate I might have let out a loud laugh. It almost sounded as if Cara's questioning was triggered by jealousy on Selena's preference of bringing me with her instead of Cara.

"I know Cares, but I bumped onto him when I got out of the ladies' room and you know how Harry is." Selena answered a little more confidently, albeit still with a shaky laugh.

"Oh, of course, never leaving a damsel in distress. The exact trait that had Taylor so whipped for you in the first place." I knew it was the alcohol lingering in her system that triggered that statement from her, since a fully sober Cara was never one to speak of Taylor and mine's relationship without caution. Nevertheless, it incited the expected effect as Selena, I and even Nina slightly cringed.