Chapter 4

Lauren's POV

"It really is so great for you to join us, Camila. Max seems to be having a great time," I looked down at him in his stroller as he wore a happy face. We had been at the park for a few hours and decided to take a stroll along the path to close the evening.

"And I'm happy to join," she smiled back with those sparkling eyes. "Are you having a good time?"

"The best," I smirked before my eyes landed on a pretzel stand. "You guys want a pretzel?" I gestured toward the man who was selling them.

"Oh yeah, here," Camila reached down to open her purse.

"Don't worry about it, Camz," I waved off before both of us slightly gasped. Fuck, I called her Camz without even thinking.

"Aw, Camz," she chuckled softly and smiled widely.

"Uh.. sorry it rolled off the tongue," I couldn't help the blush spread across my cheeks and the rapid heart rate beating out of my chest.

"Don't apologize," she shook her head still wearing a face eating grin. "And please, let me," she walked past me and ordered two pretzels, one for her and one for Max and I to share.

"Thank you," I said in a practical whisper, looking quite defeated. I really didn't mean to let that slip but she was apparently proud of it as she smirked the whole way home. What is going on with me?

***

"You called Camila by her old nickname. Heaven help us, Lauren!" Dinah teased once we got back to the house. Camila was outside in the pool with Max, teaching him how to swim but I decided it would be better for me to stay inside and help Dinah clean up the kitchen.

"It just... it freaked me out a little, okay?" I confessed quietly.

"And that's why you're inside with me instead of out there? Come on, Lo, that's your son and your.... best friend," she said.

"Best friend?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Whatever you are," she rolled her eyes. "Don't be nervous. You and Camila are getting along just fine. Nothing to worry about."

I peered outside through the patio doors at Camila pushing Max (in a floaty) around in the water. It was adorable no doubt but I worried if this was too much too soon. Especially with what the woman said to me earlier, thinking we were a family and I was looking at Camila some type of way. Of course I loved spending time with the younger woman and getting to know her again but there were still boundaries that I had to remember. We had a past that wasn't swell and has still gone unresolved. I couldn't forget about that.

"Getting close to someone who you've had a huge history with is something I'm not quite sure how to do."

"I think you know what you're doing," Dinah said, rinsing the bowls while I dried.

"Well... how to do appropriately," I rephrased and huffed.

"You've known Camila for hundreds of years. I think we've been past that point. Don't over think this, Lauren. It's what gets you in trouble with all your relationships. Relax," she put the dishes down and placed her hands on my shoulders so that I faced her. "This is good for you. This is why you're out here with her and I. It's only going to get better."

Dinah definitely knew what she was doing. Her sense of friendship still amazed me and I could never reject her wanting to help. I was out here for a reason. "Okay," I whispered with a nod.

"Okay?" she patted my back.

"Okay, okay," I turned around, going back to drying.

"Hey, Lauren, do you want me to get him dressed? I guess then he'll be ready for bed," Camila, holding Max in a towel, walked in and over to us.