The End of the Line: Part 1

Of all the Unaffiliated, Harry's sense of premonition was perhaps the most finely attuned. He woke with a start the morning following the quidditch match, his heart pounding. Casting his eyes towards the window, he noticed that the cold light of dawn had a wintry hue. Crookshanks yawned and peered at Harry with amber eyes. He climbed onto Harry's chest where he lay for a few moments and purred as if to tell Harry to go with his gut instincts. Then Crookshanks jumped off and trotted out of the room.

Harry put on his slippers and dressing gown, got out of bed and padded over to the window. Sure enough, a thick blanket of white lay upon the ground and the snow was coming down in heavy flurries. Hermione stirred, reaching out an arm to put around Harry. When she found nobody in the bed beside her she opened her bleary eyes and yawned, spying Harry staring out of the window.

"Mmm... Harry, it's still early and it's Sunday. Why don't you come back to bed!? ... Harry? ... Earth to Harry!"

"Hunh...? Oh, Hermione - you're awake. Sorry!"

"Come back to bed Harry. Are you alright?"

"Er... yeah! I'm okay I s'pose. I'm just feeling a bit out of sorts... Something bad is going to happen soon - I just know it! I think we should start getting ready to do a bunk."

"I agree Harry," Hermione sighed. Then she gave Harry a naughty smile and pulled her nightie over her head. "But I think we've got a bit of time left..."

Harry's brooding look was replaced with a lopsided grin. He couldn't resist the sight of Hermione undressed. Harry pounced back onto the bed eagerly, tugging off his pyjamas.

Hermione let out a little gasp of pleasure as Harry trailed his kisses from one end of her to another. She squeaked when she felt the first tremors of ecstasy rippling through her. Harry continued his ministrations without pausing to allow Hermione time to recover. She lost herself again as another wave of bliss swept her away, and the bed rocked with the euphoric rhythms of ardour.

Harry and Hermione gave themselves over to the maelstrom of passion which swirled around them, the magic crackling and arcing in a dazzling rainbow of colours, shaking the bedroom - both falling into oblivion upon completion. As Hermione came to in Harry's arms she showered him with little kisses - happy to see him looking more relaxed.

"Thanks Harry! That was nice... I feel much better now."

"Yeah... me too!" Harry grinned. "I think we both needed that."

The Potters shared a hot bath before dressing and getting on with their day. An hour and a half later they were in the Room of Requirement for a confab with their friends, making arrangements for any potential set of circumstances.

"...and so we'll probably be needing a distraction," said Harry after laying out the general plan.

"...Distractions are our speciality," Fred told Harry, grinning. "We'll have the mayhem ready as ordered Harry..."

"...Just give us the word," George added cheerily.

"Right then," said Dora, "As a teacher's assistant Fleur can stick with you lot through all of your classes. I'll manage to be around in one form or another and we'll stay in contact with the mirrors."

"Excellent!" said Harry, nodding in agreement. "Any of us who are going should stick close together. That could be an issue for you Luna if you're still coming with us..."

"Of course I'm coming, Harry!" said Luna firmly. "I said I would and I meant it! Just mirror-call me when it's time... Are you sure you won't join us Ginny?"

"I wish I could," Ginny moaned. "But we can't risk it with the Trace on me. I'd just give you lot away. Don't worry Luna, I'll be fine... really! Percy still seems to like me and I doubt the Carrows will want to risk upsetting him."