Enter the Dragon

On the nice days, Harry and Hermione had taken to exercising after classes near the Black Lake instead of the Room of Requirement. But even though it was a cold November day and it was starting to rain, it still felt too glorious to hang around inside. The sting of icy raindrops striking Harry's cheeks made him feel alive as he jogged by the lakeshore, and Hermione breathed in the beauty of the Scottish Highlands as she ran beside him.

Harry knew that it was too much to expect that he and Hermione wouldn't still be a target of scorn by many at Hogwarts, but for today at least - and perhaps a few days ahead - the topic on the lips of most students wouldn't be the Boy-Who-Cheated and his Personal Succubus, but the Redhead and the Slytherins who had lost their clothes at breakfast that morning.

And with a bit of luck, perhaps between that and the Quibbler article, most people would think twice before harassing Hermione so badly anymore. Harry reckoned that he could manage to bear the brunt of the insults as long as everyone left her alone. He'd had plenty of practice at it after all.

Harry slowed his pace when he spied someone else in workout gear ahead, jogging in the opposite direction towards them. He tensed when he recognised who it was, and glanced at Hermione before coming to a stop. The figure halted in his tracks, looking more than uncomfortable himself. For a moment all that could be heard was heavy breathing and the lapping of the water at the shore - nobody said a word.

Viktor Krum awkwardly cleared his throat and tentatively reached out his hand.

"Er... Hallo..." Krum began.

Harry wasn't sure what to say or do; this was the first time that they had come face to face since the wand weighing, and Krum had made his displeasure with Harry quite apparent ever since Harry's name had come out of the Goblet of Fire. It was true that Krum had barely said a single word to Harry, but Krum's expressions had spoken volumes.

But even if Hermione's presence hadn't been there as a reminder, Harry knew it would be impolite not to respond. Harry extended his own hand stiffly and grasped Krum's.

"Er... Hi..." said Harry, unable to keep the hint of suspicion out of his voice. Krum took a deep breath, as if to steady his nerves, before speaking haltingly in a thick accent.

"Harry Potter... I... er... I vould like to apologise for my behaviour tovards you! I haff disrespected you... and for zat, I am sorry! I hope you can accept my apology."

Harry's eyes nearly fell out of his head and his jaw dropped as he goggled in astonishment at Krum. Dumbstruck, Harry stood there speechlessly as the rain dripped from his hair until Hermione gently nudged him.

"Er... yeah!" Harry gasped, shaking Krum's hand properly. "Of... of course! Apology accepted... er... but if you don't mind..."

"You vant to know why!" Krum raised his eyebrows and nodded. "I understand - I would vant to know too... I read ze Quibbler article - it makes much sense - is more true than ze Daily Prophet. I hear your interview with zat Skeeter person - but you say nothing that is in ze Prophet! ... But ze Quibbler, it tells of your deeds..."

"You are a good person Harry Potter," Krum continued, "and I vos rude. I did not believe you! Now I believe!"

"Th...thanks Krum!" Harry's face broke into a grin. "Call me Harry! And this is Hermione..."

"Your girlfriend!" Krum reddened, and gave them both an abashed looking smile. "Please, call me Viktor! ... Er... I must also say... Harry... you are very lucky man! Before I know zat Hermione has boyfriend - I almost ask for date - but now I must look elsewhere..."

Hermione turned crimson at Viktor Krum's frank admission, too stunned to say anything. Harry's grin broadened; he glanced at Hermione.

"Thanks Viktor! I am very lucky..." said Harry. "By the way, we might know someone... if you're interested."