Rites of Renewal

Both curious about the girl in the stands, Dora and Fleur had followed the others to meet her. Dora stiffened as they drew nearer to the girl. Despite the bright sunny afternoon, a chill ran up her spine and she clutched Fleur a bit tighter for reassurance. A surge of anger knotted Dora's stomach when she saw the girl with black hair scrunch up and try to hide her face; she recognised that look.

It was the same look which had caused Dora to nearly get herself expelled from Hogwarts - until Mad Eye had made her the offer that she couldn't really refuse. It was the look which Dora had seen in her previous girlfriend's eyes.

"Let's hold back here for a moment Fleur," she murmured. "I don't wanna overwhelm her..." Though in truth, it was Dora herself who was feeling a bit overcome.

"Oui, Chérie..." Fleur nodded, biting her lip. The girl's discomfort was quite apparent to her.

Finally having the chance to meet the girl that he had seen through Voldemort's eyes, looking down from the top of basement stairs, Harry flushed and swallowed nervously when Luna introduced him. He felt embarrassed and ashamed to have seen Jennifer in such a vulnerable state.

Jennifer opened her mouth to say hello. But it had gone dry, and she couldn't speak. Luna put her arm around Jennifer as Ginny sat beside them both.

"Er... Hi Jennifer... erm... it's... er... it's nice to meet you..." Harry trailed off lamely, not quite meeting her eye and mentally kicking himself for not being able to think of anything better to say. Hermione squeezed his hand comfortingly.

Jennifer was startled, seeing that Harry was as anxious about meeting her as she was to meet him. Jennifer relaxed slightly and Luna's smile widened.

"Hello," said Jennifer, her voice small and slightly quavering. "It's good to meet you too Harry. Th...thank you! The headmaster... he told me that it was you - that you were the one to thank for rescuing me..."

Harry winced and swallowed again, turning even redder, wondering just how much Dumbledore had told Jennifer.

"It... it's alright," said Jennifer, peering at Harry gratefully. "If you hadn't... if you hadn't seen me somehow, nobody would've found me, and I... I probably would've died..."

After some more awkward introductions, it was obvious to Hermione that Jennifer was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Hermione suggested that they spend a bit more time together whenever Jennifer felt up to it; she and Harry left everyone to it, deciding it was time to visit Sirius. Taking the secret tunnel under the Whomping Willow, they arrived at the Shrieking Shack to find Sirius and Remus awaiting them. There was an afternoon Tea-spread on the table with pork pies, finger sandwiches, and slab of Cheshire cheese, but instead of tea a large bottle and several wine glasses stood on a lace doily in the centre of the table.

"I heard Ragnok really gave that Old Hag at the Ministry what-for," Sirius grinned, popping open the bottle of Elf-made-wine. "...And that you took the Wizengamot by storm. Good show Harry!"

"And it appears that Tonks will be needing new employment," Remus raised his eyebrows, his moustache twitching. "...And possibly new lodgings as well when she's not in school?"

"Er... yeah," said Harry, looking a bit surprised, wondering what Remus had heard. "I might as well tell you both anyway. I asked Dora to come and live with me and Hermione while we're not at school..."

"...and she's going to stay on at Hogwarts as a real post-grad student now," Hermione added happily.

"Indeed," said Remus. "Dumbledore considered that it might be good to maintain Tonks' cover to keep her at Hogwarts anyway. She might as well further her education a bit while she's at it."