Looking Glass Chessboard

Warning for this chapter: some strongly suggestive mature content, bordering on R-rated, but still written in a manner suitable for older teens and up.

A fluttering of wings caught the lunchers at the Mingling Table by surprise. An owl which Harry didn't recognise dropped something off for Dumbledore at the staff-table before depositing a large envelope in front of him while he was in mid-bite.

"Bit late aren't you?" he chuckled, giving the obviously tired bird a kipper.

"Who's it from?" asked Hermione as the others looked on with interest.

"It's from Moody," Harry replied, his eyebrows perking in surprise. "He's been watching the BBC and reading the muggle papers, and they say that the Muggle Prime Minister is blaming the Old Trafford Stadium attack on a recalcitrant faction of the IRA trying to blow up the peace process, and... and," Harry gasped, "...and Sirius Black?"

Hermione nearly snorted her tea out through her nose. Everyone else at the table looked stunned, except for Jennifer who just looked puzzled as she wasn't sure who Sirius Black was.

"Bloody F***ing Hell!" Harry swore angrily. "They're claiming that Sirius is a dangerous criminal with ties to international terrorists."

"What? ... but how... why?" sputtered Dora. "That doesn't make any bloody sense..."

"It might," said Hermione, frowning thoughtfully. "Sirius told us that he's been avoiding being seen in public because of his association with Remus. And don't forget, Sirius was targeted in the muggle press before as a criminal in our third year when everyone still thought he was a mass murderer.

"What if Minister Umbridge told the Muggle Prime Minister about Sirius because she knows he's your godfather Harry? What if they're colluding? I think she might be trying to undermine your support system..."

Harry nodded as he continued to read Moody's letter. "Yeah... I'd say you're right Hermione, Moody seems to think this proves that Minister Umbridge and the muggle PM are in cahoots too... And he says that I should avoid being seen in the muggle world because he thinks that the Minister may have also informed the PM that I'm Sirius's godson..."

"A conclusion with which I quite agree," said Dumbledore, causing everyone at the Mingling Table to lurch in their seats. They had been so preoccupied that they hadn't seen the headmaster approaching.

"I too have just received a communication from Alastor informing me of this alarming turn of events," Dumbledore continued. "I believe that it would be wise to follow Alastor's advice Harry. It would be best for you not to be seen in public...

"However, if it should be at all necessary for you to walk for a time in the non-magic world, I trust that your... special talents shall keep you unnoticed," Dumbledore concluded with a wink before strolling back to the staff-table.

"Special talents?" asked Jennifer. And she wasn't the only one who looked bewildered. Only Dora seemed to know what Dumbledore was on about.

"Er..." said Harry, suddenly feeling a bit guilty with all eyes upon him. It occurred to Hermione that Harry might be feeling badly about not telling their friends about his rare ability.

"Harry's a metamorphmagus," Hermione said quietly.

"Like me..." Dora added.

"He is?" Ginny gasped. "Really?"

"Er... yeah," said Harry. "It was supposed to be a secret. But you're our friends and I suppose I could've told you. Sorry I didn't let you all in on it..."