Nobody Expects the Inquisition

There wasn't much to do on Friday except to lounge around and await the arrival of the other students via the Hogwarts Express that evening. Everyone decided to make the best of it outside for as long as they could as clouds were moving in, threatening a rainy late afternoon

Jennifer joined Daphne and Parvati for a picnic with the Potters by the edge of the lake. Ginny and Luna were off snogging somewhere, and Jennifer presumed that Fleur and Dora were similarly occupied. Jennifer wasn't sure what Viktor and Neville were up to, maybe flying around the quidditch pitch, eagerly anticipating the arrival of their girlfriends.

Parvati was animatedly engaged in conversation with the Potters. Jennifer smiled to herself when she noticed Daphne glancing wistfully in the Potters direction. It wasn't the first time she had noticed it either.

"You like him don't you?" Jennifer murmured.

"Er... what?" Daphne quickly looked away from the Potters, turning slightly pink.

"Harry... you like him."

"Er... I suppose... as a friend..." But the deepening of Daphne's blush told another story. Jennifer raised her eyebrows skeptically.

"Oh, alright then," grumbled Daphne, knowing she'd been caught out. "I've liked him ever since he saved me from Draco - twice. But he's married and Hermione's my friend, so I know there's nothing to be done about it."

"Aren't there any other boys at Hogwarts that you like?" asked Jennifer. Daphne hesitated for a moment, a pensive expression on her face.

"Well... There aren't really any guys in Slytherin that I fancy," Daphne replied. "And I don't really know anyone from the other Houses, because they all tend to stay away from Slytherins. I suppose I like George Weasley a bit - he's one of Ginny's brothers - but he's taken too, by Alicia Spinnet."

Daphne sighed. "I don't know if I'll ever meet a boy I like at Hogwarts."

Jennifer didn't respond right away. She sat there thoughtfully for a minute.

"What about any girls?" Jennifer queried coyly. Well, she had to ask! The conversation had led to the perfect opportunity to put it out there.

"Oh... er..." Daphne seemed surprised by the question. "Honestly, I don't know... I've never really thought about that - I've always liked guys. I suppose there have been a couple of girls I've... er... noticed - but I wasn't sure if it really meant anything. I guess I could try and see if I liked being with a girl. What about you?"

"It really depends on the person," said Jennifer. "I've always been attracted to certain guys and girls... Though I have to admit, I'm rather off guys at the moment - I'm not sure if I'd ever really be comfortable with a boy again, after... erm..."

"Yeah... I understand," said Daphne gently, looking distraught. "My sister Astoria still has nightmares - all the time. I don't know if she'll ever really get over it. Draco was pretty rough with her..."

Jennifer bit her lip and sat there feeling sad for Daphne's sister. A few minutes passed in silence. Daphne's expression changed to one of thoughtfulness as she watched Jennifer; she wondered if there was more going on behind the conversation.

"Erm... do you... er... do you like me?" she asked Jennifer tentatively. Jennifer blushed and nodded shyly.

Daphne grinned. "Well... I suppose... maybe tonight after the start of term feast, we could... er... try snogging a bit - see if I like it..."

~o0o~

As the afternoon wore on clouds poured over the mountains and covered the sky; rain began to fall heavily and the wind came up. The Potters and most of their friends apprehensively took their seats at the Mingling Table when dusk turned into night, and watched the lightning flash across the dark clouds churning above in the enchanted ceiling as they waited.