111: Taniel

Bright moonlight lit up Watchward Skerby. Mage lights, scattered around the travl-ring, showed the way was clear. I found it hard to believe that the black dragons had given up so easily. Below us, the lights of the village meandered along the shoreline and I wondered if Aunt Rita slept or lay awake, full of worry for Father and me.

I wanted to ask Jarryd if he thought we would make it through, this time, but the firedrake had forbidden talk of any kind since talk carries so easily in the open night air.

The sea dragons ignored Driscoll's ruling. From their desperate silver eyes, I knew they still tried to talk to me, and though we were all back to being invisible, they saw me.

Driscoll's lock on my mindpath held.

I did not let my thoughts linger long on their talk of a Cladessa. My heart belted in my throat. I searched the cloudless sky for black dragons. The salt tang grew stronger as the sea dragons crowded right up against Driscoll's side.

I tightened my arms around Jarryd's waist.

"Do not worry, sweetheart," he whispered. "Driscoll knows what he's doing." He kissed the side of my face.

I wished I could be so confident. I felt the icy tingle of Driscoll's magic, then as he created some sort of shield around us. With the sea dragons pushed aside, Driscoll descended.

We were close enough to see the shimmer of the portal when black shapes lifted from behind the ridge.

The sea dragons, wailing and screeching, charged the black dragons. Numbering fifty or more, the delicate sea creatures stalled the dragons for mere seconds before they were tossed mercilessly aside. I watched, dismayed, as several inert shapes floated away.

Driscoll let his shield go and, swooping up, fled to the north.

Behind us, the black beasts milled, trying to guess where we had gone. The constant interference from the sea dragons seemed to confuse them. Two black dragons minded the portal while the other five circled ever wider, trying to pick up signs of our passing.

Driscoll dropped lower until he was hugging the shadows of hills and folds in the land. My husband held me tight. His breath rasped and I guessed he was scared, too.

Driscoll landed, skidding along the ground. "I think I have lost them for a moment." He spoke softly. "I can go no further. You must use the doorball. You will be on your own but it is safer than staying here."

"Understood," said Jarryd. He slid to the ground, and pulled the leather box from inside his jacket. He held his arms up for me.

I dismounted, none to gracefully. With our hearts hammering, we stood clutching each other for a precious second.

"When you get to the old haven, wait for me there. I will come for you, as soon as I can," Driscoll said.

I pulled away from Jarryd and strode to the firedrake's snout. "How do you know where the doorball goes, Driscoll," I said. "I want to know."

"Shush." His head reared up and moonlight glistened on his eyes. He thrust his face close to mine and his burnt earthy smell almost overwhelmed me. I stood my ground. "Tell me," I whispered. "The doorball might go to this Newhaven place."

"It can't," he said. "Newhaven was founded after your mother was lost to Aislenfell."

"How do you know so much about my mother?"

"I am her dragon."

My mouth fell open.

"Taniel, we haven't time for this," Jarryd said from behind me. "I need help here."