97: Taniel

Red-gold scales momentarily covered our escape when Driscoll positioned a spinal spike by the small hole, filling the narrow tunnel with his rich, earthy smell.

Jarryd slipped out, with ease. His agility never ceased to amaze me. He reached for my hand and, wary, I looked outside.

Driscoll hovered against the foundations of the castle, his wings tucked. His tail was wet from the swelling seas. I eyed the restless water, feeling glad that the dragon's bulk blocked the view immediately underneath us.

The quiet lash of the waves was odd, compared to the echoes booming inside. A flock of gulls wheeled overhead. I could not wait to fly up there, too.

Catching hold of Jarryd's hand and the dragon's spike, I clambered free of Castle Stakkr. From the way that my skin warmed, coupled with a tender smile from my dragonrider, I reckoned the firedrake had rendered me visible.

Driscoll straightened.

I put my back to the sturdy spike, sitting astride once I had pulled my dress out from under my bottom. Jarryd wriggled back until my arms circled him and, as he had done during the night ride on Rufus, he held my clasped hands to his stomach, making me feel safe.

As Driscoll began to drift away from the rocks, a thrill shot through my innards. How long before we're home? I asked.

Driscoll ignored my query.

Hold fast, he said, throwing out his splendid wings and stroking at the air.

I clutched at Jarryd. My heart thumped my ears. When my mindpath cleared, I repeated my question. How long will it take to get home?

We should be there before the sun sets - unless Rufus cannot find Paget. She must be found. We need her.

Jarryd tensed at the witch's name. He was probably thinking of his brother's baby makers again.

She's done enough, I said.

Paget must play her part.

"Bitch," I muttered to myself, unable to stop the bitterness seeping through the mindpath. Her part, so far, had led to nothing but trouble.

An unfortunate business, that. Dax was foiled in Skerby, but ... Driscoll sighed. This was not foretold, not to me.

Uneasy, I tried to make sense of his words. I did not like the idea that my fate was beyond my control. With magic, I might be able to defend myself. If I had not been kidnapped, Mother's letter would have told me about my wild magic, and if I could use it. I still did not know enough about this Newhaven. I supposed I did not have to stay there if I didn't like it. Jarryd would agree with whatever I decided.

Hold on, sweetheart. We are going higher.

Breathless with anticipation, I abandoned my question about the haven. Jarryd leaned forward and I pressed a cheek against his back, loving his closeness.

We're ready, he said.

My insides danced as the firedrake folded his wings. Like lightning, we streaked homeward. I snuggled into Jarryd's back, content, despite lingering regret for losing my little red dragon. For lost he was, after my vicious kick to Ritter's groin, not to mention what Dax had done on my behalf. I had suffered the humiliation of the impregnation procedure, for naught.

No matter, I was done with Stakkr.

I settled back to enjoy the dragon flight.

***

8 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene  (biggest change is removing reference to magic that no longer happens in this final version)

Thanks for reading.

Vote?

Comment?