56: Jarryd - Skerby-bound

Jarryd saw the first glimmers of the Great Lake appear before them, the firedrake having covered a gratifying distance in the short time since leaving Rufus. Normally, Jarryd loved flying in the moonlight. This night, he barely took in the vista of the Morrdake peaks stretching beside him. He could not appreciate it, not with Rufus imprisoned in one of its valleys.

Driscoll's cloud-soaked scales sparkled and Jarryd was awed by the huge red dragon underneath him. Dax's dragon. It had been many years since he called Driscoll his. It had never been true.

Mother was good at that sort of thing - she did not see the wrong in giving away a father's gift to his favourite son. She had insisted that the firedrake would bring Jarryd's magic back. Years passed before she admitted she erred. Rufus, a hatchling from Ritter's first brood, found the way into his head and his heart.

Giving up Driscoll settled most of the animosity he had shared with Dax, though resentment yawned when he failed to qualify for the Dragon Knights. There would be no father's Bestowment gift for Jarryd.

No one seemed to care.

He was the next Keeper, Mother said, and his role superseded that of the Knights. True, he had his father's sword and becoming a true custodian for the One might come without warning.

He sighed.

Jarryd squeezed the spike in front of him, pressing his palms hard against the scales, alerting Driscoll of his need to talk.

It took you long enough. Be quick. We are almost on top of Turras.

Do you know if Taniel is safe? Has Dax been with her?

She is safe for the moment. Driscoll's laugh vibrated under Jarryd. Your brother is not used to women walking away while he is in full charm. She warded Dax away without even knowing what she did.

Will Dax try it again?

No, he has returned to Stakkr with Paget.

Who is Paget? Jarryd asked.

The midwitch that birthed you and Dax.

Oh. Jarryd hoped Taniel would not have the same trouble conceiving as his mother had. He needed a son to have some hope of getting his magic back.

Does Dax know I am free?

He tried to speak to me while I drank at your waterhole, the firedrake said. I had to ignore him lest he asked the right questions of me. We cannot rely on him.

Do you think he would tell Mother?

And, you would not? Driscoll peered over his shoulder at Jarryd, a bemused expression on his face.

I suppose. Of course, he would talk; one simply did not refuse Mother or her wizard.

You boys should have left Stakkr long ago. Dax's father offered you his home, often enough.

Boys? He supposed they did seem young to a dragon thousands of years old.

So, you think I can have a life with Taniel and that's why you're taking me to Skerby.

More dragon laughter.

Jarryd clutched a sullen silence as Driscoll sped over the vast lake, lining up with the Turras travl-ring.

If it's so funny, said Jarryd, the silence denied. Why did you fetch me?

I am not about to divulge my reasons to you, you know. I will tell you this - and I only tell you this so you might trust me - that girl is important to our future. Certain things need to done in the right sequence.

Are you talking about the prophecy? She is not the One. The sword did not bind me. I'm not her Keeper.

You will be. No more questions. Do you want to go to the girl? Driscoll looked over his shoulder, his golden eyes fierce in the bright moonlight.

Aye, vowed Jarryd, staring right back with a fierce look of his own, somewhat surprised at strength of his feelings for Taniel.

You will do as I say.

Aye.

Now, you are not to speak even if it looks like we are alone. Driscoll twisted his neck over his shoulder so that his head was close to Jarryd. Opening his jaws wide, the firedrake gently breathed on him.

Jarryd chilled. Enchantment settled on him like a second skin.

It is done, Driscoll said. You cannot be seen until I withdraw my breath or you are touched by sunlight, whichever comes first. Remember, no talking until we have landed in Skerby.

Driscoll eyed him and Jarryd nodded, dumbfounded. He had heard that some dragons knew invisibility spells. He never believed it. Excitement twiddled in his gut when the firedrake drifted down to the Turras Watchward.

The travl-ring loomed against the stars. In a matter of moments, they would land in the cow paddock behind the tavern.

He wondered if Taniel was awake. Surely, she would not be able to sleep after what had happened to her. He was pleased with the way she had tried to free him, without asking questions. Pity the plan had not worked, but at least he knew that his belief in her was warranted.

The magic within the circle shimmered as they neared.

Soon, sweetheart, soon. His thought filled his heart as Driscoll streaked through the ring.

***

30 March 2017 - replaced with revised scene (removed reference to the clan-ring)

Thanks for reading.

Vote?

Thoughts?