33: Dax

From the dining room doorway, Wizard Dax Dinsmore watched the girl, dishes rattling on the tray as she pushed into the kitchen.

He could not believe he had used dragonspeech in a public place. His action placed the plan in jeopardy: it relied on pretending he did not know what she was.

For all he knew there could have been someone in the room who sensed mindtalk. He glanced around the dining room. The watching diners had lost interest once the girl had rushed out without saying a word.

He was grateful for that. Their private arrangement must remain their secret. The bedding must seem a random moment of mutual need.

Movement from beyond the kitchen door alerted him to Katerine, empty tankards dangling from her fingers. The displeasure on her face deepened into a scowl when he moved toward her. With lips pressed tight, she followed Taniel into the kitchen.

Dax decided it was best to take his fright-snuffed appetite upstairs.

The less he was seen about the place, the better. He would look forward to supper with more enthusiasm. Trying not to run, he glanced neither left nor right until he gained the landing.

He breathed a sigh of relief as the turn in the stairs took him from sight.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised version (a drastic change from original so some comments might not make sense)

Vote?

Comment?