104: Taniel

I could scarcely believe that I had heard Jarryd's declaration correctly. "A real wizard?" I whispered, acutely conscious of his hand tight on my arm as if to stop me should I flee.

Jarryd nodded, his eyes fixed on mine.

"Let's wed," I said. I removed my cloak and tossed it over a straight-backed chair near the notary's huge desk. I badly wanted to ask him if he had wings, but it seemed somehow inappropriate. I did not want him to think I compared him to his brother.

While the astonished notary collected the marriage book and other necessary things, Aunt Rita brushed the hem of my red dress and muttered at the stains and the awful stink of dragon.

I loved it and I breathed in the burnt-earth smell of Jarryd as we embraced. He kissed my forehead, making me wish Father was with us instead of camping somewhere by the side of the road.

"Come, we will get on with it." Notary Bates cleared his throat. "Jarryd Langley and Taniel Bartle, are you here, of your own free will, to commit to the promises made at your betrothal?"

"Aye," Jarryd said.

"Aye," I echoed.

At the notary's urging, Aunt Rita placed my hands into the warm fingers of my eager dragonrider-wizard. We were invited to say the words.

"Taniel." Jarryd's smile was tender. "I take you into my heart, my body, and my soul. You are my wife and I am your husband." He took my fingers to his lips.

"Jarryd." His name seemed odd in my mouth. "I am your wife and you are my husband." I stared into his eyes and his love for me was unmistakable. Love was not a consideration when we made our betrothal. We each wanted something the other would provide, though I was not really sure what he wanted of me. I coveted his dragon.

Aunt Rita gently nudged my arm.

"Jarryd, I take you into my body and into my soul," I said, with my eyes locked on his. "My wizard, I take you into my heart."

I tasted salt on my lips and he looked relieved. He had doubted me.

"Seal your union," Notary Bates said, opening the book.

We kissed, long and deep, our fingers entwined as Aunt Rita tied the ribbon around our hands.

The notary inked a pen and held it out to Jarryd. Breathless, we parted then, slipped our hands free of the marriage ribbon, and attended to the signings.

Aunt Rita hugged me and wiped my face with the end of her sleeve. Her eyes glistened with love for me.

Notary Bates sprinkled sand over our marriage lines. The enormity of what we had done slowed our talk and, silenced, we waited for the ink to dry.

Dragonspeak slammed into my head.

The black dragons are here.

Hurry.

***

9 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene (a few slight changes)

Vote?

Comment?

hanks for reading!