91: Sam

Sam, fist over heart, tried not to fidget while the last of the Skerby Watchwarders marched by. His legs threatened to cramp. All through the impromptu inspection, carts and wagons had rumbled through the gates behind him, yet not one had tackled the hill during his climb.

He prodded his silver medallion, tugged on his sleeves, and checked his seams. The dust sticking to the hem of his leather skirt screamed.

He turned to the wizards standing behind him. Baldwin and Briant looked as hot and bothered as he felt.

"Not quite finished, Grandmaster," Seneschal Bister said, softly. "The dragonriders."

Sam recognised his grizzled informant among the handful of leather-clad fellows swaggering past. He returned their salute. "They are few. Do you have a large patrol out?" Sam asked.

"Most of the riders are down in town," explained the head warder. "If we had known of your coming, we would have been better prepared."

Sam waved away the man's words. Despite his earlier stalling, he now wanted to get to Stakkr, collect the girl, and return to Eighalh in time for dinner. He wondered what culinary delights Longan would bring from the kitchens for him. Of course, the spy lord Chadbyrne would want his answers. He supposed he must tell the truth. Pity.

"Right," Baldwin nudged him. "We must go."

Sam smothered his relief and nodded his thanks to the official party.

"Thank you, Grandmaster," Seneschal Bister said. "I appreciate you taking the time to inspect the men. It is good for their morale to know they
they are not forgotten by Eighalh."

"Would you care for refreshments, Grandmaster?" another asked.

"No, we must repair to the door-room, at once," Sam said. "Come, wizards." He swept into the keep, feeling like a hen with her chicks in tow. Apt, he thought. There were feathers to be plucked before the day was out.

Wings to be clipped.

***

5 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene

Thanks for reading!

(2016) Another super short one - just to let you know what is happening with Sam. I think you can work out what is going to happen next.

Vote?

Comment?